Whaley Bridge - Toddbrook Reservoir Damage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Whaley Bridge has been evacuated as the spillway on Toddbrook Reservoir has been badly damaged due to the level of rain. This could literally wipe the village out if it goes, and will likely flood villages further down the Goyt (New Mills, Marple, Romiley, Bredbury and Stockport).

Drago

Legendary Member
I know, absolutely mind blowing! The hydraulic pressure mist have been enormous.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Marple Bridge is going to be especially vulnerable, with the Goyt passing through it and there being nowhere for the water to flood to, other than towards Stockport.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I hope you're all seeking somewhere safe down there as the pictures of the Toddbrooke Reservoir Dam, showing part of it having collapsed, are very alarming.

Police are co-ordinating an emergency evacuation of the town as the Environment Agency has said there is significant danger to life.

dambust.jpg

More details on the Beeb: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-49189955

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Marple Bridge is going to be especially vulnerable, with the Goyt passing through it and there being nowhere for the water to flood to, other than towards Stockport.

The river was about 1m below the main wall yesterday in Marple Bridge. Normally the river is about 10m below !

I'm about 1/2 mile from the Goyt and my MTB routes run past it. I'm lucky I'm a good few 000's of meters higher up.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Could the flood be diverted to wash Blackpool into the sea? It would be a merciful end for the town.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Working at a large employer in Hazel Grove, a few miles down the A6 corridor from Whaley Bridge, I'm sure many of my colleagues will live in the danger zone so I guess a fair few of them wont be going to their own homes tonight, or for a few days/weeks into the foreseeable? :sad:

Drago

Legendary Member
By utter chance I live on a high spot, a good bit further Nortj if any water course. This was luck rather than design, but if I ever but another house its vulnerability to flooding will be high in the list of things to watch for.

tom73

Guru
Not going to be easy moving everyone out. Let's hope it holds even if it holds it's going to take some time to repair.
Not too fair away is last time one went which was the Great Sheffield flood 1864 that killed 240. If this went it would make that look like a dripping tap.

Top Bottom