What’s best bike for serious but broke beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclarybros

I need a bike that can be used for conditioning and training but won’t break the bank. Getting in shape at 45. What’s best?

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Depends on budget and whether or not you would consider used. I would most likely look for a little used aluminium frame with something like Tiagra group set that works just as well as more expensive. There seems to be more good used bikes for sale recently.
The thing is, unless you go high end there is a huge amount of similar/generic frames that are basically the same so its not really worth being too picky.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you cast around you should be able to pick up a bargain especially if it needs a bit doing to it. If you’re able to handle a bit of spannering don’t be afraid of picking up something that is lacking cosmetically.
I bought this 2007 Trek SL from under a heap of discarded bikes at a local bike repairers. It was well scratched and the rear triangle particularly so I painted that. New chain, cassette, derailleur, bar tape, one shifter, saddle, tyres and rear wheel and it was good to go. All parts used except for cassette chain and saddle.
Okay it was a bit of work but it gave me a good bike for little cost.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
A Giant Defy from 2008 or 2009 is a great budget starter bike, light and durable - you should be able to pick one up for £300 and they some in Small, Medium, ML, Large and XL. Plenty to choose from on ebay.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
A lightly used aluminium road bike that fits you, I think a Giant Defy would be my choice as well, plenty of them around and a decent light bike.
I actually had a 105 equipped brand new one in 2017, a decent example of that year's bike would only cost you about 350 now. A slightly older one, probably less. And it wasn't really noticeably heavier than my carbon TCR.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Best bike is something second hand and not too fancy. When I got back into cycle commuting 18 years ago. I promised myself that if I was still cycle commuting at least 3 days a week, 3 months later. Then I’d treat myself to something more fancy. But to start I just rode a basic carrera mtn bike, with no suspension.

Avoid suspension at the cheap end.

vickster

Legendary Member
I need a bike that can be used for conditioning and training but won’t break the bank. Getting in shape at 45. What’s best?
What country are you in? And how broke is broke?

si_c

Guru
If you are in the UK and your employer offers it, the Cycle To Work scheme is a great way to get a quality reliable bike with a reasonable cost reduction and help to spread the cost.

The second hand market is usually the best place to get a good quality bike but with the lockdowns of the last 18 months is no longer the bargain it once was for a mechanically fully working bike.

Decathlon is another option if you have one near to you.

I'm a big fan of buying used. get something your size & is in ride-ready condition, meaning, needing little to no work. nowadays tho, with bike shortages, one must make do with whatever they can find. local bike shops in my area carry used bikes, maybe near you as well? maybe poke around & see what they have that fits you. if you're a beginner you might enjoy a straight bar hybrid type bike. everyone in our family has some model of the Trek FX line. but I also have a drop bar road bike & an MTB

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you will not be going up or down any serious hills then build a singlespeed bike. Choose the optimum gear for riding at your favoured speed and spin a bit when going faster than that. I found 52/19 great for 24-32 kph (15-20 mph).

Scrounge most of the parts from whoever you can scrounge them off. I got a surplus frame/fork free from a pal because it was too big for him. I had some old wheels lying around and various other bits. I did the whole bike for under £100.

+1 for used if you're on a tight budget.

I'd say near enough any bike that fits you and that hasn't got suspension will do the job - doesn't really matter whether it's road, hybrid or MTB. A bike is a bike*, and it's good to get you started. You can always splurge at a later date if you fancy.

Although if you get the latter, then stick some slick / semi-slick tyres on.

* Just stay away from Bike Shaped Objects (aka cheap, cheerful, bottom of the range), though if you avoid suspension, you will avoid most if not all of these anyway.

Justified_Sinner

There are some really good bikes going second hand on Gumtree and Ebay. I've spotted some crackers on Gumtree recently where people are more genuinely just trying to get shot of things than on Ebay, where the most awful rust-bucket has a "L@@K Vintage" premium!
Actually, I'm not being strictly fair - there are some great bikes there, too. The most important thing is to get something that is the right size, though.

Top Bottom