What’s the potential scam?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have an advert up to sell a Garmin GPS watch, I no longer use, and has someone contact me saying they want to buy it.

Here’s the rub. They want to send their own courier. I’ve seen scams where they fake an online payment but, in this case, the ‘buyer’ says they will send cash with the courier collecting the goods.

What’s the scam in this case? Counterfeit money and the pressure to hand over an item to a busy courier so no time to check?

All sounds fishy so have already declined the ’buyers’ offer.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
It "never arrives", you end up reimbursing the buyer, and they get your watch.

Hmm, if they're paying the asking price in cash, I don't see what else it could be tbh. Unless the 'pay in cash' turns into the courier not having any cash and you being pressured into accepting an online payment, or they claim non-receipt and come after you for reimbursement. What site is the advert on and how formal are their Ts&Cs?

Or it could be completely legit.

One other thought is that for whatever reason, maybe they don't want to get drawn into a conversation or haggling and so de-personalise the transaction. I must confess I do the reverse of this sometimes when delivering things off that I've sold on eBay - tell the buyer I'm getting a courier to deliver but drop it off myself.😄

Thanks all. I suspect it will go down the line of the courier not having the cash and suggested above.

As I said, he’s already been told to jog on (and been blocked). It’s FB marketplace for those interested. I have been reasonably successful in selling on there but , like anywhere, there’s always the chancers.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I know you have already stopped it happening
But for others - maybe get confirmation in writing (e.g. an email/DM) that they take responsibility for the courier and once the courier has it then it is their problem
When the courier turns up
a) if he has the money - check it and take your time - if it is OK hand over the watch - film the whole thing
or
b) if he does not have the money and suddenly you are under pressure to do something else - walk away - still filming it

Naturally - any objection to the filming, whch includes faces - then walk away
any changes - walk away

or do what you did - just walk away anyway!

Top Bottom