What’s wrong with my second toe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
For a few days my second toe has been really sore to the touch. It’s gone a bit red & puffy looking. No breaks in the skin so I really don’t know what’s causing it. Do I need antibiotics or could it be a bit of gout? It feels strange like the nerves are just raw as if the skins been peeled off but no obvious damage.
6EBDF217-F4EC-4ADF-8D69-91D50EEFF28F.jpeg

Mo1959

Legendary Member
For a few days my second toe has been really sore to the touch. It’s gone a bit red & puffy looking. No breaks in the skin so I really don’t know what’s causing it. Do I need antibiotics or could it be a bit of gout? It feels strange like the nerves are just raw as if the skins been peeled off but no obvious damage.
View attachment 675266

Chilblain?

a.twiddler

Veteran
Most likely a chilblain. Common in cold weather. I never had anything like it before a couple of years ago but have been prone to them since. Just got to keep your feet warm. Can get it in your fingers too. If it gives concern, see your GP. Once the weather warms up it should resolve itself.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Gout tends to be in the joint rather than external. I’ve suffered a mild dose every now and then, which I can always link to overindulging/poor diet.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Any pain on the outer edges ? I broke my big toe over a year ago, nothing much until the nail fell off after 6 months. It's not grown back well and is causing infection as any sharp edges on the nail cut into my skin.

tom73

Guru
Any pain on the outer edges ? I broke my big toe over a year ago, nothing much until the nail fell off after 6 months. It's not grown back well and is causing infection as any sharp edges on the nail cut into my skin.

Same here had a nail removed as a kid never been right since it's grown back about 10mm thick cutting it is challenge.
Not to derail the tread all together but scholl do a kit that helps make toenail grow clear of sides then just try and keep it cut clear of the edges. I've not used it but maybe worth a try and help stop it happening.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
A little on the edges of nail. I think having the electrical blanket on at night hasn’t helped. Blood vessels will quickly expand then going to work in freezing temps contract again. This is the coldest Jan for years.

Top Bottom