What a con!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Coco

HLaB said:
Unfortunately its market forces. The operator can get away with charging more in the UK, there less choice/ competition. Similary in the US where there's more choice/ competion prices are driven down.

+1

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
it has long (as in at least twenty five years) been the case that you can buy tickets in the U.S and Canada cheaper than you can buy them here. The same used to be true of those round Europe railway tickets.

On the other hand........have you bought a railway ticket here recently? Lincoln to London via Peterborough - under thirteen quid. The same train from Peterborough - twentytwo quid

Mycroft

vernon said:
Like I originally said unless you know that it's cheaper buying from the country that you intend to travel to is there any point in spoofing?

I suppose you could initiate a string of prospecting inquiries using a series of spoof IP addresses but I don't have the knowledge or skills to go about it.

I also suspect that there are mechanisms that prevent purchasing tickets from the destination country and having them shipped to a UK address - I have vague recollections of something like this being discussed quite a while ago and that the tickets had to be shipped to an address in the country of purchase.

I might be wrong though.

No matter, the practise stinks.

oh dear.

I was just assuming it WAS cheaper, otherwise I'd buy from this end, didn't think that needed clarifying ?!

as to the practice of different charges from different destinations having a waft of manure emanating from it, OH HELL YES!

-

anyway, for all the other comments, thanks. I formed the opinion while reading that, if one considers that to fly from, say, the UK to the US it takes but a few hours. while not so long ago by ship, it would have taken weeks. and by ship, it would have cost a fortune (in old money) so really airline greed aside, we are quite privileged.
and the ever present thought in my head is that the oil will run out, how many airlines will stay in business at "budget" prices I can't see... so perhaps we are one of, if not THE last generation to be as privileged with fast and cheap flight.

so, I suppose I'm left with the notion of "if you wanna travel, suck it up"

just a thought :laugh:

Top Bottom