What a day :=((

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Wow, What a day it's been today.
Up for 4am this morning to make my journey to work. Like everywhere else in the UK the roads where atrocious and the 25 mile commute through Wales was no different.Some of the snow drifts on the side of the road where 5ft high and trying to navigate the car without getting stuck was hard going.
Once at work the was a skeleton of staff that made it in. What staff that did get in, ended up trying to juggle other people's jobs to keep production going. The journey home was no better and I ended up getting in an hour late as the snow drifts where now blocking off the roads.
I finally got home around 5.45 and thought it was going to have evening in , in front of the fire with the cat for company.
Then the phone goes and it's the ex brother-in-law. He's not been to well lately with a suspected blockage in his intestine.
His car had broken down and he was due to be at the hospital for 7 for some tests.
I think the world him as he's always been "rock" when I was in a dark place in life , so I gratefully offered to run him to the hospital. So out comes the car again ,and off we went dodging the snow drifts.
We arrived for 7 and waited 2 hours before he got called in. At midnight a nurse came back to the waiting room to tell me there going to operate on him asap and that he's going to have to stay in.
A bit of shock to hear and quite worrying news.
So after saying my goodbyes and organising a few things I headed back to the car.
As I was walking back, I saw this lady standing outside crying. I walked over to her, to see if she was ok. She flung her arms round me begging for a lift home. She appeared either drunk or high on drugs and claimed she was a nurse and that the taxi cab she ordered just drove off and abandoned her.
I really did feel comfortable giving her a lift ,as to me I felt she was lying and the fact she was high on something.
When I said no ,she then got abusive and stormed of towards the main emergency entrance of the hospital.
I fed the car park meter £8 to let me out and headed back home. The roads where lethal on the way back. The snow was falling thick and fast and the roads where white over with compacted snow. I was taking it easy and not doing much more than 30mph.
Behind me, an articulated lorry came up pretty quickly ,and tailgated my car before deciding to overtake..
As he came past he literally covered my car in snow and ice as it sprayed off it wheels.
I couldn't see a bloody thing as the quantity of snow jammed up my wipers. Driving blind I just had to hope for the best and stop the car hoping I wouldn't crash. I did end up in the hedge but thankfully no damage done. Just glad to get home now and chill out.
Let's hope tomorrow's a better day. :-)

classic33

Leg End Member
Here's hoping for a better day.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
......... Like everywhere else in the UK the roads where atrocious........
Not quite everywhere.;)
This was our village yesterday.

20180302_123657.jpg

TVC

I reckon your BIL owes you a pint when he's recovered. Hope today is more relaxing for you.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Up for 4am this morning to make my journey to work. Like everywhere else in the UK the roads where atrocious and the 25 mile commute through Wales was no different.Some of the snow drifts on the side of the road where 5ft high and trying to navigate the car without getting stuck was hard going.
Once at work the was a skeleton of staff that made it in. What staff that did get in, ended up trying to juggle other people's jobs to keep production going. The journey home was no better and I ended up getting in an hour late as the snow drifts where now blocking off the roads.
I finally got home around 5.45 and thought it was going to have evening in , in front of the fire with the cat for company.
Then the phone goes and it's the ex brother-in-law. He's not been to well lately with a suspected blockage in his intestine.
His car had broken down and he was due to be at the hospital for 7 for some tests.
I think the world him as he's always been "rock" when I was in a dark place in life , so I gratefully offered to run him to the hospital. So out comes the car again ,and off we went dodging the snow drifts.
We arrived for 7 and waited 2 hours before he got called in. At midnight a nurse came back to the waiting room to tell me there going to operate on him asap and that he's going to have to stay in.
So after saying my goodbyes and organising a few things I headed back to the car.
As I was walking back, I saw this lady standing outside crying. I walked over to her, to see if she was ok. She flung her arms round me begging for a lift home. She appeared either drunk or high on drugs and claimed she was a nurse and that the taxi cab she ordered just drove off and abandoned her.
I really did feel comfortable giving her a lift ,as to me I felt she was lying and the fact she was high on something.
When I said no ,she then got abusive and stormed of towards the main emergency entrance of the hospital.
I fed the car park meter £8 to let me out and headed back home. The roads where lethal on the way back. The snow was falling thick and fast and the roads where white over with compacted snow. I was taking it easy and not doing much more than 30mph.
Behind me, an articulated lorry came up pretty quickly ,and tailgated my car before deciding to overtake..
As he came past he literally covered my car in snow and ice as it sprayed off it wheels.
I couldn't see a bloody thing as the quantity of snow jammed up my wipers. Driving blind I just had to hope for the best and stop the car hoping I wouldn't crash. I did end up in the hedge but thankfully no damage done. Just glad to get home now and chill out.
Blimey, that really is a heroic day! Well played. Hope BIL is OK.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:eek:

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Thanks for all your messages of support for my ex brother-in-law.
No news yet from him.
I've just one job today to do, in getting his car up and running. His girlfriend's stuck at home with there disabled daughter ,so a car is essential to them. That will be a weight off there mind when there mobile again.
A quick cup of tea and toast for me now and then I'm off.
Have yourselves a great day all :-) :-)

Mrs M

Guru
Thanks for all your messages of support for my ex brother-in-law.
No news yet from him.
I've just one job today to do, in getting his car up and running. His girlfriend's stuck at home with there disabled daughter ,so a car is essential to them. That will be a weight off there mind when there mobile again.
A quick cup of tea and toast for me now and then I'm off.
Have yourselves a great day all :-) :-)
:okay:
xx

Top Bottom