What a difference 8 years makes !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Some memories popped up in my One Drive feed this morning.

8 years ago, I was gingerly getting back on the bike just Four months after badly breaking my spine, and only two months after getting out of hospital after a lengthy visit.

MrsF didn't know I was popping out, and I managed just about 8-12 miles along the canal (return trip). This is my old trusty Diamond Back Ascent as it was 8 years ago, gingerly pedalling up the canal - I had to push up some of the cobbled bridges. It's now in Commuter duties having had a fresh new paint job, and two new sets of wheels. We weren't sure I'd walk again, never mind be back commuting to work on a bike. In that time, out went one bike (the one I was knocked off) and in came a full suspension MTB and a Cyclo Cross Bike. The FS bike stayed hidden from her for some time as she would have gone nuts.

This year, I have a 205km hilly sportive in 6 weeks, then we have some bike packing planned for late summer.

Never Give Up.

9d0a4be0-8d8b-45b4-aac5-0fb4cb0893b3.jpg

07d76130-5db6-49c8-b020-76369ae1b060.jpg

20240116_080102.jpg

20230416_111614.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
8 years ago, I was gingerly getting back on the bike just Four months after badly breaking my spine, and only two months after getting out of hospital after a lengthy visit.
You didn't break that spine - a stupid inattentive driver did! :cursing:

This year, I have a 205km hilly sportive in 6 weeks, then we have some bike packing planned for late summer.
Excellent news. With fellow survivor of serious injury inflicted by a stupid inattentive Mancunian driver, @I like Skol perhaps? :whistle:

I encountered Skolly and his family on the Rochdale canal towpath while he was still wearing his neck brace.

Never Give Up.
Agreed!

It is nearly 12 years since I dodged my date with the grim reaper. I am still enjoying riding my bikes despite long-term damage which limits what I can do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Skolly got knocked off not that long after me, and not far from the hospital. In both cases, GMP did nothing.

We both were very lucky, and I'm glad I didn't opt for surgery, as I'd be left with a permanent metal work and fused spine. As it goes, I'm missing half my L1, but I can still touch my toes ^_^- probably wouldn't have been able to touch my knees if I had metal work.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

It massively knocked my confidence on the road, and did next to no road riding until 2020, when I took the road bike down wales for some riding, and then slowly build it up. I have a very 'planned' commute route that avoids some nasty roads, and it's mainly off road, riding during rush hour is not pleasurable due to the rushing about most people do - they never allow time !

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

What you also don't realise, it is surprisingly easy to break your spine. Just that little too much force and bang. I was doing no more than 13 mph when the car hit me (he was doing less than 10 - just turned across me), but it was the instant deceleration that split two vertebrae. They broke on impact, then the flying up in the air and landing square on my back broke 4 ribs.

The morphine was good, I don't remember much about the first two and a half weeks.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What you also don't realise, it is surprisingly easy to break your spine. Just that little too much force and bang. I was doing no more than 13 mph when the car hit me (he was doing less than 10 - just turned across me), but it was the instant deceleration that split two vertebrae.
A different type of spinal injury, but I remember former CycleChat member SatSavSaysStraightOn wrecking her spine by just turning to answer the phone!!

I reckon that my spinal discs are getting old - they have started clunking when I bend! :eek:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Because of the law of conservation of fitness, someone has to be less fit than they were 8 years ago. I suppose I'm doing my bit ;)

classic33

Leg End Member
What you also don't realise, it is surprisingly easy to break your spine. Just that little too much force and bang. I was doing no more than 13 mph when the car hit me (he was doing less than 10 - just turned across me), but it was the instant deceleration that split two vertebrae. They broke on impact, then the flying up in the air and landing square on my back broke 4 ribs.

The morphine was good, I don't remember much about the first two and a half weeks.
Was this the time you weren't sure whether you were here or there. With a few odd posts made?

gzoom

Über Member
What you also don't realise, it is surprisingly easy to break your spine.

Glad you are better, I really do question why I still commute on the pedal bike these days. My commute involves a 2 mile stretch of B road where some people hit three figure speeds. I suspect I wouldn't know much of what happened for the worst occur, but it not exactly fair on the family to be left without me all of a sudden.

I've really questioned the point of using the pedal bike on/off the last few years, increasingly so, I think I'm leaning towards just driving. I really do love cycling so much more than driving these days, but as you say, flesh & bones is no match against metal on wheels.

Top Bottom