What a difference a pair of forks makes!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
A while ago I posted a few musings about the relative merits of sus over non-sus mtb forks ... well, I went and did it! I replaced my knackered old Manitou Splice Super forks (which were pretty crap, it must be said), with a pair of Nuke Proof carbon-fibre forks.

Looky (at the same time I fitted Avid BB7's and of course I had to get cable housing to match the forks!):

4809075601_b201f23c51_b.jpg

Anyway, all I can say is, my God, that bike is FAST!!! what a difference changing the forks has made ... it's so much lighter, better balanced and it flies down singletrack!

So, go old-skool I say! Get rid of those sus forks, you don't need 'em for anything other than DH, I reckon! You certainly don't need them for XC.

Tynan

Veteran
good

that looks to be a very straight line one of the yellow cable to the front wheel is making

I thought you singletrack types didn't like things that might get caught on other things?

fingers crossed the nuke proofness isn't tested

Globalti

Legendary Member
I agree! When I bought my Global titanium frame I was forced by the geometry to buy a suspension fork, so I got a second-hand SID that gave me good service. When that eventually died I bought a new Reba but it leaked oil like my Land Rover. I have sent it back to Fisher Leisure for repair and in the meantime have fitted this carbon rigid fork: http://info.carboncycles.cc/index.php?s=0&t=2&c=43&p=197&

Have tried the bike on tarmac with slicks at 60 lbs and yes, it is super fast and light and the fork looks to be taking a lot of the bumps out. Next I will fit some 2.2" off road tyres and try it. I'm expecting to find it fast, light and not much less comfortable on XC rides than with that heavy lump of a suspension fork on it.

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
good

that looks to be a very straight line one of the yellow cable to the front wheel is making

I thought you singletrack types didn't like things that might get caught on other things?

fingers crossed the nuke proofness isn't tested

It's longer than it looks! Just the way it's curving there.

I have faith that it's nuke proof!
thumbsup.png
Anyway, there are greater dangers on singletrack than the prospect of broken forks!
laugh.gif

The forks look great but i dont like the yellow cable housing though

My MTB's have always had traditional front suspension forks but i recently bought a Cannondale F5 with the ultra fatty headshock and that makes a huge difference both on the road and on the trails and the ultra fatty is alot lighter than traditional sus forks

IMG_0893.jpg

Simon

jayonabike