what a difference an shoe makes... a beginners experience.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
I recently started cycling on road and had the age old pedal dilema.

First off started as cheap as possible and went for a standard pedal with toe strap - felt dangerous couldnt get used to them. first time too tight and my foot got stuck. second time too loose and felt i was loosing too much power.

Had enough of these pretty quickly. I decided i wanted to be able to walk in my shoes so i bought some shimano m520 pedals. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/m520-spd-pedals-ec005948

I matched these with some cheap shoes http://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-tour-tbs100-mens-cycling-shoes-144018 these were nice and comfy but after about 120 miles they have split on the sole where the cleat attatches. I did feel good in these shoes but unfortunately they let me down. Whilst riding in them they seemed like they were helping performance. its only now after moving on i realise they lacked power.

I then decided to do it properly and bought some louis garneau shoes from evans http://www.evanscycles.com/products/louis-garneau/monte-mtb-shoe-ec034778 my first comment would be wow power! the acceleration difference felt huge. comfortable shoe and i love the ratchet.
I had heard hard soles increased power but the difference felt huge. I have a 15.8 mile circuit that i regulaly do and i smashed my pb by just over 2 mins its quite hilly little ride and my previous best was 13.9 mph but it jumped to 14.2 mph.
Im not claiming the shoes are magic and i may have just pushed harder than before but my reconmendation to beginners not looking to spend a fortune, if you are buying MTB pedals, go for a football boot style shoe rather than a walking shoe, you will not regret it.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Thanks for posting. I am looking to get my first road shoe any time now (saving my tips up). Its nice to hear your experience rather than just hearing about the shop assistant's experience.

OP
OP
jifdave

jifdave

glad i can help.
obviously i have gone for an spd (mtb) style pedal rather than a spd sl(road) as i like the idea of being able to walk off the bike.

ive been lucky and not fallen off at a junction yet but im sure my time will come.

the amount of energy you save and extra speed you gain is brilliant.

everywhere has sales on at present so now is a good time to dive in.

PK99

Legendary Member
I recently started cycling on road and had the age old pedal dilema.

First off started as cheap as possible and went for a standard pedal with toe strap - felt dangerous couldnt get used to them. first time too tight and my foot got stuck. second time too loose and felt i was loosing too much power.
t.

Me too! But like you i was using them the wrong way!

The idea is to get on the bike with them loose. Lean down and tighten the strap to hold the foot firmly to the pedal than lean down and loosen the strap to release the foot from the pedal.

There a good reason why clipless pedal are so popular!

OP
OP
jifdave

jifdave

The pedals are what I have although you can get them about £3 cheaper on eBay. You will also need spd cleats again cheap on eBay.

In my experience the shoes I had were poor and broke quickly. Also I found the holes not quite in line. The shoes you linked too may be better but I'd keep the reciept if I were you.

On the other hand all my Lycra is cheap and from sports direct and is fine.

Craig-SR

Thanks for the reply, the newest review on the wiggle site said he got cleats with the pedals? did you?

Top Bottom