What a First Commute!?!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
What's your route? Sounds a bit bobbins if you are going up Princess Parkway.

I do Timperley - Manc. Happy to show you a decent way:smile:

400bhp

Guru
oh and buy some latex gloves and keep a pair in your bag. great for keeping clean when messing around wth the bike.

potsy

Rambler
400bhp said:

I did Timperley to EBC in Rusholme the other day,thru northenden then straight road all the way,don't know if that's anywhere near where you go DaleB? Would imagine it is quieter than Princes road though.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I used to use Chester road when i lived in Timperley but now when i go and visit my Mum i wonder if i would use it now on a daily basis due to it being such a rough road and the way the motorists definatly do not give room.Is Princess road any better ? Tried that sometimes but never liked that road just before you got to Southern Cemetry because that was a bit hairy at times even 10+ years ago !

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
400bhp said:
oh and buy some latex gloves and keep a pair in your bag. great for keeping clean when messing around wth the bike.

Oh how POOFY!! ;):laugh:

No, you want to have big manly dirty hands!!
I take great enjoyment in having oil stained hands - makes me feel like I've actually done something and I have the evidence to prove it!!.
I'm the same with the likes of coal - those tong things are for wimps.

Must be a man thing .....until I inevitably have to wash my hands that is.

OP
OP
DaleB

DaleB

Away for one minute and all these replies:

400bhp said:

Yes, my commute takes me all the way up Princess Parkway - a tad dangerous? (I'm happy to listen to alternates)! :girl:

(The route with the hill is just for leisure up past/through Tatton Park towards Knutsford etc...)

potsy said:
I did Timperley to EBC in Rusholme the other day,thru northenden then straight road all the way,don't know if that's anywhere near where you go DaleB? Would imagine it is quieter than Princes road though.

Yes, at the moment i go from Timperley, down Altrincham Rd and then up Princess Parkway, it's extremely busy and when it's not its fast! :o)

So, the way your suggesting would see me going:
Via Palatine Rd/B5167, Wilmslow Rd/A6010?

- Turn left at Ferndown Rd/B5167
- Turn right at Wythenshawe Rd/B5167
- Continue onto Palatine Rd/B5093
- Continue onto Wilmslow Rd/A6010
- Slight left at Wilmslow Rd/B5117
- Continue onto Oxford Rd/A34
- Into Manchester

* From google mapping it, it definitely looks better - what are the buses like though as you get nearer to Oxford road? *

I'm going to try this route tomorrow i think
:tongue:

skudupnorth said:
I used to use Chester road when i lived in Timperley but now when i go and visit my Mum i wonder if i would use it now on a daily basis due to it being such a rough road and the way the motorists definatly do not give room.Is Princess road any better ? Tried that sometimes but never liked that road just before you got to Southern Cemetry because that was a bit hairy at times even 10+ years ago !

I imagine it'll be the same as Princess Road, especially the section before Southern Cemetery... Very nerve racking!?!?

OP
OP
DaleB

DaleB

DaleB said:

:laugh:

Was busy today so didn't have chance for a practice ride :tongue:, will definitely do it tomorrow though as i'm going into Manchester anyway :sad:...

I'll let you know how it goes!

400bhp

Guru
DaleB said:
Away for one minute and all these replies:

Yes, my commute takes me all the way up Princess Parkway - a tad dangerous? (I'm happy to listen to alternates)! :biggrin:

(The route with the hill is just for leisure up past/through Tatton Park towards Knutsford etc...)

Yes, at the moment i go from Timperley, down Altrincham Rd and then up Princess Parkway, it's extremely busy and when it's not its fast! :tongue:

So, the way your suggesting would see me going:
Via Palatine Rd/B5167, Wilmslow Rd/A6010?

- Turn left at Ferndown Rd/B5167
- Turn right at Wythenshawe Rd/B5167
- Continue onto Palatine Rd/B5093
- Continue onto Wilmslow Rd/A6010
- Slight left at Wilmslow Rd/B5117
- Continue onto Oxford Rd/A34
- Into Manchester

* From google mapping it, it definitely looks better - what are the buses like though as you get nearer to Oxford road? *

:biggrin:

I imagine it'll be the same as Princess Road, especially the section before Southern Cemetery... Very nerve racking!?!?

Try this route:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...3.465059,-2.247605&spn=0.012748,0.038581&z=15

OP
OP
DaleB

DaleB

I tried the new route today (in the rain)... All in all it was better, however riding on the cycle lanes nearer Manchester were confusing when they tried taking you off somewhere!!

I'm actually torn between the two routes thus far :blush:, as although the Parkway has faster traffic the beginning of Oxford rd felt less spacious.

400bhp - i'll try your suggestion next, starting on Brooklands road though, cheers :biggrin:

OP
OP
DaleB

DaleB

Yes, did it yesterday... Much less cars until right near Manchester! It takes the longest though - but it is more 'pleasant' :sad:

TBH i'm torn between the three routes!

OP
OP
DaleB

DaleB

Would like to thank everyone for their help over my route...

I'm still torn between the three,

- Parkway = Busy but feels more open and (direct)
- Northenden = Roads a bit narrower, which may be a problem in the mornings
- Hulme = Much quieter, but i have to get off quite a lot and lift my bike through sleepers.

I think i'm just going to use all three alternately until i have my favourite!

Thanks again everyone though :becool:

Top Bottom