What a lovely time of year to find out that my bank card has been cloned...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
As per thread title ^^

Yesterday afternoon I had several requests to authorize payments, that I declined, as I knew nothing should be going through the account. Late last night I saw that a transaction, only £17 but it was for a US dollar transaction of 22 USD had snuck through.
I froze the card (not difficult to freeze it in this weather!) and blocked international transactions.
This morning, the payment to a company named 'Leadpages' was still pending.
I phoned the Fraud Squad at the bank and went through their processes to stop/sort/refund the amount.
Turns out that the request was made from Portugal.
Long story short, and a 40 minute phone call, the chap went through about 20 transaction requests, varying from £8 to over £500 from all over the world, none of which were me.. Fortunately none of them went through.
Handily, the bank has blocked my card and international requests, and will send a new card out (via Royal mail.. Good luck with that!!) within 4 - 6 days.
I now await paperwork to carry forward the fraud investigation.

Ho Ho bloomin' Ho

🤑

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
As per thread title ^^

Yesterday afternoon I had several requests to authorize payments, that I declined, as I knew nothing should be going through the account. Late last night I saw that a transaction, only £17 but it was for a US dollar transaction of 22 USD had snuck through.
I froze the card (not difficult to freeze it in this weather!) and blocked international transactions.
I phoned the Fraud Squad at the bank and went through their processes to stop/sort/refund the amount.
Long story short, and a 40 minute phone call, the chap went through about 20 transaction requests, varying from £8 to over £500 from all over the world, none of which were me.. Fortunately none of them went through.
Handily, the bank has blocked my card and international requests, and will send a new card out (via Royal mail.. Good luck with that!!) within 4 - 6 days.

Ho Ho bloomin' Ho

🤑

Good to know that the bank's systems picked up most, if not all of the suspect transactions.

Both myself and my son have had similar experiences, and in both cases, Bank system (Santander and Barclays) "spotted" the transactions automatically.

Bit of a nuisance having to wait for a new card, especially via Royal Mail at moment.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Something similar happened to me about two years ago. Some one racked up over £1000 on eat just, unknown to me. I could not access my account on line.

I received a letter supposedly from the credit card people, but it was on thinner paper than their usual thicker paper. It smelt fishy, and was.

My point is, that if you receive mail or phone calls about this fraud, ignore them. Ring the bank yourself on a different phone to the one they rang you on.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Good to know that the bank's systems picked up most, if not all of the suspect transactions.

Both myself and my son have had similar experiences, and in both cases, Bank system (Santander and Barclays) "spotted" the transactions automatically.

Bit of a nuisance having to wait for a new card, especially via Royal Mail at moment.

Santander seemed to be on the ball with their security, happily.
All credit (no pun intended) to them!

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Something similar happened to me about two years ago. Some one racked up over £1000 on eat just, unknown to me. I could not access my account on line.

I received a letter supposedly from the credit card people, but it was on thinner paper than their usual thicker paper. It smelt fishy, and was.

My point is, that if you receive mail or phone calls about this fraud, ignore them. Ring the bank yourself on a different phone to the one they rang you on.

You have to be so careful these days! Sneaky toerags.. Grrr

Milkfloat

An Peanut
A few years ago Barclays let through about £15K on various transactions from Dell Australia, I reported it and they still managed to let another £4K go through the day after. I got it all back in the end, but I would have thought they would have questioned the spending pattern and the fact that local transactions were going through over the same days. Luckily nowadays all spending generates an alert on my phone. From what I gathered they let Dell process the orders and send the goods out!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
As per thread title ^^

Ho Ho bloomin' Ho

🤑

Not good.

Do you know how it happened?

lazybloke

Considering a new username
My Barclaycard got refused last Thursday, both by contactless and pin. It shouldn't have been anywhere near the credit limit so my guess was that scammers had maxed it out.

Nope, just that the Barclays system was down. How mundane!

Adam4868

Guru
Rarely use cards myself but my partner has had hers done a few times.
Last time she was sure she knew where it was cloned as new card and only time she'd used it was at a certain garage.The bank refunded her and issued new card but said there's so much of it going on that they write it off.As it's not worth the hassle.
Good work if you can get it.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country

That's why I have a separate account and debit card that I use for all online transactions. All in person transactions tends to be with the credit card. My debit card is only used to get cash from an ATM.

If any of the three has to be stopped then I still have the other two to use. The bank account for online transactions has only a few quid in it. I transfer the amount I need when I'm making a payment.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I was in Hong Kong a few years back - I tried to withdraw some money from an ATM with my HSBC card but it failed. As I stepped back from the machine to let my wife try her card I got a call on my mobile. It was HSBC triumphantly telling me that they had just stopped a transaction on my account in Hong Kong. I told them that it was me but they had already blocked the card and could/would not reinstate it until I visited a UK branch. I was then without my card for the remainder of the time in HK and a following visit to Taiwan.

I guess I was grateful they were on the call, but could’ve done without the faff that followed.

I am Treasurer of my local St Vincent de Paul Conference and was issued a credit card by Vinnies head office for Conference related expenses. I was trying to pay a bill over the phone and my card was rejected. Apparently my card had been cloned and a number of charges had got through before the Bank's systems detected the problem. Anyway Vinnies HQ dealt with the bank and I was issued with a new card.

Top Bottom