what accessories must come with new bike & BS EN 14764

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iijili

i bought a mtb last week and it would have come with no front or rear reflectors or bell - i thought these were a legal requirement and had to ask for them . the shop said yes they should be supplied but people usually remove them so they dont bother supplying them.
what other accessories should a new mtb come with? eg wheel reflectors (i asked and they offered to fit them) & pedal reflectors (it has none)? and are these legal requirements?

on the "pre delivery inspection to BS EN 14764" form they completed they ticked all the boxes except put a cross in the boxes for "bell", "reflectors" and "test ride", and wrote "n/a" in the box for "suspension set for rider weight/style" . so is this BS EN 14764 optional, and can they just ignore some of the items on it? also i'm told this isnt even the right standard for MTBs and that it should be BS EN 14766?

any advice please?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I know what BS stands for :secret:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Personally I'd ask them for the reflectors and bell. They will have been supplied by the manufacturer and it seems as if the shop can't be bothered. My local bike shop asks but will otherwise supply the items fitted as standard.

Which shop are they by the way? Also, do they have a box of bells / reflectors for sale somewhere?

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If they dont fit the bell and reflectors they should at least offer them to you.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I know it is definitely a legal requirement for them to fit a bell on a road bike and I assume its the same for a MTB..........as you are likely to ride it on the road.

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
From the ctc website,
When first enacted, in 1983, the major requirement of PBSR was to ensure that every new bicycle sold conformed to the British Standard for bicycles: BS6102 part 1.

In 2005 Britain adopted the European General Product Safety Regulations (GPSR). These forbid the marketing of unsafe products, whilst presuming the safety of any product that conforms to an appropriate published standard, especially if it's a European standard. And at about the same time BS6102/1 was being superseded by a bunch of European Standards, upgraded from the old BS and differentiated according to types of bicycles.

GPSR allows a few other ways of establishing that a product is safe, but nevertheless does pretty much the same thing for all products, as PBSR was doing for bicycles. So when the bicycle regulations were most recently revised (by Statutory Instrument 2010 No. 198): the requirement to conform to a standard was left out. Cycle manufacturers were by then well accustomed to standards and it is rare to find a bicycle offered for sale without a "Conforms to BSEN..." sticker on it.

Specific requirements
One might suppose that the remaining provisions of this regulation were comparatively trivial, and so they are. Every new bicycle has to come with:

1. Any hand-operated brakes arranged left-hand rear, right-hand front
  2. A bell
  3. White or yellow reflectors on both sides of each wheel or tyre
  4. A white wide-angle front reflector, or a front lamp
  5. A red wide-angle rear reflector
  6. Yellow reflectors front and rear on each pedal
The reflectors (or front lamp) required above must be of a specification that is approved by UK Lighting Regulations.

A bike that is sold fully assembled must come exactly so, with all these things fitted as described. But a bike that is sold as a kit, or with some parts un-assembled (most likely items 2 to 6 above), merely has to be capable of being assembled like so. In that case it must come with assembly instructions plus any special tools.

lpretro1

As from about 2011 it’s desirable, but not a legal requirement. Bikes at the point of sale have to be fitted with bells, but there is no law saying they must be fitted to bicycles no longer on shop display. The Highway Code does not stipulate that bells must be used, but rather suggests that cyclists: ‘be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially sighted pedestrians, letting them know you are there when necessary, for example by ringing your bell.’ Any other ‘audible warning device‘, such as a whistle or the human voice would do. A polite ‘excuse me’ can often come across as a lot less aggressive than the insistent tinkling of a bell or the blare of a horn.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I don't know what the added risk is if you wheel the new bike out of the shop without a bell or reflectors.

Probably a hundred times less than actually riding it on the road amongst motorists. Relax.

davidp82

I was told they get around this rule for road bikes as they come without pedals as standard and therefore are classed as custom built

Top Bottom