What annoys car drivers most about cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I saw quite a funny RLJ last night, comming from the pleasance towards the junction with the Royal Mile (Edinburgh) I'm stopped at the red which just changed as I approach, to tell the truth I was glad of the break. About 20secs later the lights still at red a mini ran the red quite fast, a few seconds later slammed on the brakes and gingerally reversed 15 or 20m. It was a good job there was no traffic on the royal mile as visibility to or from it are limited; it was funny at the time:smile:

Tynan

Veteran
'There is nothing coming from the left.
There is nothing coming from the right.'

isn't that exactly what car drivers say to themselves before they pull out in front of cyclists?

I've yet to see a junction that needed to be jumped 'for safety', genuinely saying so sounds like an indictment of someone's road skills to me

Cab

Saw a funny thing yesterday.

Stopped at the lights, behind a car and a lorry; the car wasn't indicating, the lorry indicating right. Lights change, lorry took time to get going, by the time the car went the lights were amber and they were red by the time he was through. I cursed under my breath (naturally), and stopped. Four seconds later or thereabouts a recumbent came from behind me at a reasonable speed, straight through the red light.

Never seen a recumbent blatantly RLJ before.

Left me pondering whether bad recumbent riders get us all a bad name or not...

nethalus

I only really get annoyed with cyclists when they do stupid or dangerous things, but then I get annoyed with car drivers for the same reason. Like one guy waiting to come out of a side turning, my bus is the only vehicle on the road, nothing behind me for miles. I'm thundering along between 35 and 40 (on a 40mph road). Mr Cyclist decides he can't wait 10 seconds until I've passed the junction he's pulling out of, no he decides it's better to pull out infront of the bus, forcing me to have to brake hard to avoid flattening him!
I don't really have a problem with cyclists they are on the road and if needs be I pass them wide and carry on without further ado. But my other half gets really wound up about them for some unknown reason. Just the sight of a cyclist, particularily ones wearing lycra gear, really winds him up. He starts swearing and grinding his teeth. I really don't understand it, especially in most cases the cyclist hasn't done anything wrong, and has even stopped at a red light. Mind you I've found since he's become a coach driver his driving has become agressive all round.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Tynan said:
I've yet to see a junction that needed to be jumped 'for safety', genuinely saying so sounds like an indictment of someone's road skills to me

Absolutely right.

Magnatom, and why would you think I run red lights?

BentMikey said:
Magnatom, and why would you think I run red lights?

Only a joke Mike!! Your the only bent rider I know (of)! :tongue:

Although I heard a rumour that there were other cyclechat members who were of the bent persuasion! :sad:

PBancroft

Eat MY Dust said:
Maybe you should tell him to find a new job. The last thing we need is another person on the road who has the potential of doing something lethal while in a rage.

Indeed. Would probably be good for his health too.

nethalus

Eat MY Dust said:
Maybe you should tell him to find a new job. The last thing we need is another person on the road who has the potential of doing something lethal while in a rage.

Mind you it might be because we've both been suffering a lot of stress lately. The pay he brings home at the moment is a lot better than some jobs offer at the moment.

Cab

nethalus said:
But my other half gets really wound up about them for some unknown reason. Just the sight of a cyclist, particularily ones wearing lycra gear, really winds him up. He starts swearing and grinding his teeth.

If he's getting that wound up then he really, really shouldn't be out on the road.

PBancroft

nethalus said:
He don't do anything to said cyclists. Just rants about them like.

Does he rant at them too? 'Cos that's kinda intimidating when you're a cyclist and the ranter is driving something significantly larger than a bungalow.

Seriously, if he's that wound up about anything it might be worth taking five.

jonesy

Guru
nethalus said:
He don't do anything to said cyclists. Just rants about them like.

Attitude affects how you drive... what's at the forefront of his mind as he overtakes a cyclist: how to pass them safely or how much he hates them?

nethalus

Kaipaith said:
Does he rant at them too? 'Cos that's kinda intimidating when you're a cyclist and the ranter is driving something significantly larger than a bungalow.

Seriously, if he's that wound up about anything it might be worth taking five.

No he doesn't rant at them.

Top Bottom