What are all these eyelets for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Most bikes I've come across have been pretty predictable in terms of where they have eyelets and what the intended purpose of said eyelets is. My Day One, however, seems to have them everywhere...

Chainstay, drive side. To allow for cable routing for if converting the bike (single speed) to a hub gear bike maybe? But if so why two?

IMG_5772.JPG

Underside of down tube. At first I thought for an extra bottle cage, but you'd never get a bottle between the frame and the wheel that high up. So for a bolt on half-mudguard, maybe?

IMG_5773.JPG

Single eyelet on underside of the down tube, offset towards non-drive side, near the bottom bracket. Another for cable routing?

IMG_5774.JPG

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Good question. I can't help.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The ones on the down tube could be for a frame mounted mini pump. I have two braze on mounts on the exact same position on the chainstay on my Specialized but underneath, they are for rear derailleur cable guides.
Edit: The down tube mounts could also carry clips for full length outer gear/brake cables.

Last edited:
Viz Top Tip
If You need a placeholder to fill an unused threaded hole, replace the steel allen bolt with a nylon one. Lighter and rust-free.
Another top tip, mainly for tourists. Make sure that at least one of your water bottle allen bolts is as long as your rack bolts so in the event of shearing you are carrying a spare.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
of course!... dunno why but i thought that was the seat tube. :blush:

I think we have a winner folks. PM the OP to claim your prize.

Erm...I'm not sure I recall offering prizes, though I could have a root about in the shed later to see what I can find.

Although if I do find something prize-worthy I think I might have to give it to myself for this one...

Underside of down tube....for a bolt on half-mudguard, maybe?

Ajax Bay

Guru
"It’s worth noting that the driveside chainstay features the drilling you need to fit stops for an Alfine hub gear, should you decide you’re not actually that fond of singlespeeding after all." singletrackworld.com
Maybe the single one low down on the down tube and offset is part of the same provision.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
"It’s worth noting that the driveside chainstay features the drilling you need to fit stops for an Alfine hub gear, should you decide you’re not actually that fond of singlespeeding after all." singletrackworld.com
Maybe the single one low down on the down tube and offset is part of the same provision.
What stops do they think an Alfine hub gear needs? I thought i t could run in outers all the way and that's why SA have produced that lever case arm thingy that hangs on the axle if you don't want to fit a fulcrum clip and maybe pulleys.

There for the little man to go inside and polish the inside of the frame when you are bored
Coming soon to an A+E near you... xx(

winjim

Smash the cistern
The down tube ones you can fit a crud catcher to. Top tip, if you have downtube routed cables you can use imner tube locknuts as spacers to avoid the crud catcher gettimg in the way of them.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Is a bolt-on spoke holder a thing? I thought most people just used tape for that job.

The same frame was available (2013 bike) with an 8sp hub gear set up I believe.

Some Dawes Galaxy tourers have two spare spokes mounted on the chainstay which could be mounted using brackets mounted by an allen bolt.

Although I'm not convinced because the type of mounting in the pic of what look like an an American Raleigh tourer appears more common.

The cable on the hub gear version would run along the drive side chainstay, so it's a possibility the bosses are used with a small bracket to secure the outer, rather than using cable ties.

Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 10.33.0718 Nov 2017.png

Top Bottom