what are my chances ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
eldest son coming over to do L2B and youngest son was going to join him. Youngest son has to work and i was thinking of doing it in his place. Furthest i have cycled is about 50K and i'm not as young or as fit as i was.
Has anybody done it before and what do you think of my chances of getting to Brighton in one piece !

classic33

Leg End Member
I'd say you'd suprise yourself.

vickster

Legendary Member
You'll be fine, a friend of mine did it on an Apollo mountain bike with no cycling gear and no training :smile:

This August she is doing the London-Surrey 100 with me, on a roadbike, with padded bottoms but probably Converse on her feet and a bag of haribo! Likely to be a sterner test for us!

You'll be fine, you won't be able to ride that fast nor up the big hills due to the sheer volume of cyclists, probably kitted out like my pal!

Yeah, you can do it.

Here is me at the end of my first L2B (solo, avoiding ditchling). It shouldn't be too intense for you.

Sharky

Guru
Go for it, it's not too hard. It's the ride back that is the killer.

Although said in jest, there is a little more to add. It was back in the mid 80's and was working in the city and one of my colleagues got chatting about cycling. He was brought up in Catford and he made me jealous saying his school had "games" at Herne Hill track! Anyway we challenged each other to do the LTB. And we persuaded quite a group from the office to take part as well. The others all arranged to meet at the bandstand on the common. Now living where I do, in longfield, the trains Sunday mornings are poor, so I decided I would cycle in, picking up a colleague along the way in Bexley Village.

So a ride to Clapham, where we met the others and duly rode the event to Brighton sea front, taking about 8 hrs. One of the office colleagues had borrowed a bike on the day and at the finish, vowed he would never ride a bike again. The others headed for the train back to London.

Not me, I didn't want to spend hours in a train back to London and then faced with another journey out to Longfield, I started riding in the direction of Lews and Crowborough. It was at this point when I "bonked". Stopped at a pub and downed 2 pints of orange juice and some food, but I was done. Rang my wife to come and rescue me. Did ride a little further to Tunbridge Wells where I waited at the Pantiles and eventually got home.

But not put off, I rode the LTB for the next 3 years and did the full return journey each time, even riding up the notorious Exedown.

LTB - it's easy

Good Luck,
Keith

Top Bottom