Cycling to Brighton with only one gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been planning to cycle to Brighton for a while (from Twickenham) and suddenly a friend is having a get together there tomorrow. To be fair, I probably don't have time this weekend to even get there by train (car is being used elsewhere), but I'm toying with the idea of cycling there.

Problem is, my gear shifter packed it in on Monday - I've been on a single speed all week. I've been enjoying it, so haven't been in a hurry to fix it. It's 78", so not that outrageously high, and no problem for my mostly flat London route, just make sure I get up speed before hitting a slope. No chance of fixing it tonight as I haven't even ordered the replacement yet.

The distance is not too daunting: I've done 70km once and average > 200km/week, and it's only 80km there by the direct route. But I'm not that great on hills without a low gear.

My question: is there a reasonably flat route suitable for Saturday morning cycling from south west London to Brighton? I'm not afraid of traffic, but I want it to be a pleasure not a terror.

You could most likely do the first 60+k without too much problem. But whichever route you take you still need to get over the south downs. Doing this in one gear will be tough!!!

Others will no doubt be along soon to explain why re gearing.

Pottsy

I live in Twickenham too. I did the London to Brighton a couple of years ago, cycling from home to Clapham and also back out of Brighton at the end, on my single-speed Pashley Guv'nor (and in a suit incidentally
cool.gif
) and it was no problem. I only had to walk Ditchling, but mainly due to the traffic.
My gear will have been a bit lower, no idea what it is but about 70" at a guess, but then the bike weighs a lot.

Sounds like you've got the miles in your legs so I reckon if you take your time and have a few stops you'll be fine. Enjoy.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
You could most likely do the first 60+k without too much problem. But whichever route you take you still need to get over the south downs. Doing this in one gear will be tough!!!

Others will no doubt be along soon to explain why re gearing.

From Albourne, a few miles north of Brighton, there is a cycle path which takes you through the Downs via Pyecombe and the A23 into Brighton with no climbing at all.

It's not a bad route apart from the noise of the traffic for the last few miles.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
From Albourne, a few miles north of Brighton, there is a cycle path which takes you through the Downs via Pyecombe and the A23 into Brighton with no climbing at all.

It's not a bad route apart from the noise of the traffic for the last few miles.

A lovely route indeed - I've done it a fair few times towing 8 stone of child & trailer x

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Here?

What's the route before the Albourne area?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Problem is, my gear shifter packed it in on Monday - I've been on a single speed all week. I've been enjoying it, so haven't been in a hurry to fix it.

If it is a normal derailleur, you might well find that you have another gear (or two) by twiddling the cable tension adjuster(s) at the rear mech and right shifter. The amount of cable pull per gear required for the rear mech is around 3mm (see table 2 here)

Jaristokraatti

I don't suppose anyone is online now .... I'm just trying to plot my route. Exactly what is one supposed to do with that sustrans map? You can't zoom in on it, or download a gpx. Is it just an advert for a paper map?

thanks

Greg´s two links: left is just paper, right one can be zoomed.

But you have to look at the links on the Sustrans.

Top Bottom