Gear shift pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wooster

Hi all

I'm old and have arthritis in my hands. I'm trying to get into cycling and I'm enjoying it but I'm encountering a bit of hand pain. I really feared resting too much weight on my wrists but it seems that this pain is related to the gear shifters which are in a ST-EF505 brake/shift combo. I have to use just my thumb and index finger to change gear which are two of the hand joints where my arthritis tends to play up. Even working a TV remote is painful for me so I'd really really really like to avoid my thumb. If I could use the heel of my hand to shift instead of my thumb it would be perfect. If the shifter levers were a bit further from the brake handles and a bit bigger I suppose I could use my palms to shift which would alleviate the issue to some extent but as they are, it isn't easy to see how any of this would work.

In the end, if I really had to, I'd change my shifters and brake levers to find a solution that would make riding possible for me, but obviously, I'd prefer a less radical approach if possible. One idea I noticed was downshifters or friction shifters which I could either grab with my hand or use the palm and heel of my hand but I don't know how feasible it would be to change to these.

I like the shift arrangement on drop bars with two levers being pushed in the same direction by all the fingers. Something allowing similar hand movement would be great but presumably impossible.

Any suggestions as to some small changes I could make?

Thank you

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
A couple of suggestions which you'll probably discard straight away..
- don't change gear. Ride the bike like a single speed in a low gear. Don't change up when it gets easier, just learn to spin at a high cadence. Keep to flattish routes.
- convert to electric gears. You need £ for this option, so probably not a good option

Hope it gets easier

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ride the bike like a single speed in a low gear.
If the pain were only in the right hand, a less extreme possibility would be to stop using the right side shifter - just put the rear derailleur in the desired position on the cassette and leave it there. Then just change between the chainrings with your left hand so you would have 3 gears - one each for... whizzing along, ambling along, and climbing!

presta

Guru
If I could use the heel of my hand to shift instead of my thumb it would be perfect. If the shifter levers were a bit further from the brake handles and a bit bigger I suppose I could use my palms to shift which would alleviate the issue to some extent but as they are, it isn't easy to see how any of this would work.

You could do this easily with bar end shifters like I use.
1663546122300.png

1663546285363.png

Good morning,

Although normally reserved for the cheapest bikes shimano a050 shifters (search for that phrase) may be the solution.

They are sort of "downtube shifters" that are fitted to the handlebars near the stem.

The biggest downside to them is that your knees will probably hit them if you ride out of the saddle.

Bye

Ian

OP
OP
W

wooster

Thank you. I'm not that sure about the bars. I'd prefer to keep the ones I have. They are angled very slightly but nothing like as much as the ones in the pictures. What would the issue be with using straight bars?

If I really need to go there I guess the A050 shifters might be an answer.

Just a thought. How about using the actual downshifters on the down tube? would that be like the bar end shifters just having to move my hand down a bit to change gear? I don't ride standing up and I'm a gentle rider not racing about so I can afford to be a bit more relaxed about time to change etc Do you reckon these might work and allow me to keep my bars?

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Thank you. I'm not that sure about the bars. I'd prefer to keep the ones I have. They are angled very slightly but nothing like as much as the ones in the pictures. What would the issue be with using straight bars?

If I really need to go there I guess the A050 shifters might be an answer.

Just a thought. How about using the actual downshifters on the down tube? would that be like the bar end shifters just having to move my hand down a bit to change gear? I don't ride standing up and I'm a gentle rider not racing about so I can afford to be a bit more relaxed about time to change etc Do you reckon these might work and allow me to keep my bars?
The issue with using slightly angled bars is really down to you. Would you feel okay about operating them in that position? Plus they might be more liable to be damaged sticking out more.

I think Ian with his suggestion could be the best option for you as you can just nudge the shifters with your hand. Down tube shifters might also work for you but you'll still have to grip them.

I hope you find a solution that works for you.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I have a similar problem to you, though in my case it only causes a little discomfort rather than pain. At present I have three bikes, each with a different types of shifter, all of which are easier for me than the thumb shifters on my previous bike. I find the best levers for me are the friction down tube set up on my vintage bike but of course they would not fit many modern frames. The bar end shifters are quite easy for me too.

OP
OP
W

wooster

The issue with using slightly angled bars is really down to you. Would you feel okay about operating them in that position? Plus they might be more liable to be damaged sticking out more.

I think Ian with his suggestion could be the best option for you as you can just nudge the shifters with your hand. Down tube shifters might also work for you but you'll still have to grip them.

I hope you find a solution that works for you.

Thanks. It seems like I have a couple of options anyway. I will speak to the LBS ( see, I'm getting the lingo ^_^) where I bought the bike and see if they can give me a run-through of what they have to give me a feel of how they would work.

OP
OP
W

wooster

Just having a look online. Do they still make the friction shifters or do you need to buy second-hand?

Top Bottom