Gear shift pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
During my chemo a few years back and for about a year after my nerves were destroyed and the hands were numb and weak. During that time I was sometimes needing to shift with my whole palm and I was considering Di2 or the likes but that's 💰💰💰

Cycleops

Legendary Member
During my chemo a few years back and for about a year after my nerves were destroyed and the hands were numb and weak. During that time I was sometimes needing to shift with my whole palm and I was considering Di2 or the likes but that's 💰💰💰

Go Di2 setup also add touring shift buttons too, so you can change gear when riding on cruise position
Did the OP mention he had a kidney to spare?

CXRAndy

Guru
I'd suggest he try a bike with Di2 and see if it ticks the box.

Yes it's pricey, but the older versions are still excellent and much cheaper on the second hand market. 6800 Di2 . I have and still strong reliable.

Try and see if it's worth it

OP
OP
W

wooster

I'm afraid I'm retired and don't have 💰 let alone 💰💰💰to spend ^_^

I'm going to have to look at the a05A or bar end shifters. TBH it's really the downshifter that's the biggest problem because I need to use just my thumb whereas the upshift I can grab with a couple of fingers. If I could just exend that lever somehow I could use my palm.

Chislenko

Veteran
I feel the gripshift would cause me issues with my wrists. I'm plagued with arthritis in my hands in general.:unsure:

I would agree, I had an old MTB with gripshift and the pain was immense when changing gear and my mild arthritis sounds nothing like what you suffer with.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
1663619587940.png

This is the shifter, it works on a rocker principle so you could operate it with your palm.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just saw a suggestion that sounded like it might work for you... Instead of holding your hands the normal way and pushing the thumb lever with your thumb, turn your hand the other way up and push with the palm of your hand under the handlebar!

OP
OP
W

wooster

I just saw a suggestion that sounded like it might work for you... Instead of holding your hands the normal way and pushing the thumb lever with your thumb, turn your hand the other way up and push with the palm of your hand under the handlebar!

Well, that's certainly worth a go before I go changing anything else. It's pretty simple so I will try it tomorrow. Thank you.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Thanks. I'm assuming you can't get ones designed to work with the number of gears I have?
That's correct. It's a low end device for use on low end bikes that have 7 speed. It's only $15 so if you think it may benefit you it's worth a try although you're losing one spocket and you can manage without.

Top Bottom