Cycling to Brighton with only one gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks again guys.

I made it, slowly but with little trouble.

http://www.worksmartlabs.com/cardio...&sig=dab93d3387554e5b483a049ac4db0a8acbef323f

(You can see the amusing tale of my slight stumble in Kingston (though I knew the way, so didn't check my route), the divergence in Banstead - soon realised I was lost. I couldn't cross the M25 where I planned as the road was gravel and a serious skid hazard. That left me off route round Gatwick (after a pastry break and another misstep in Reigate), then onto the A23.

Picked up the NCN20 (agreed, pretty good route) but did have one serious problem when I rejoined the A23 at one point, I headed off towards London! That was not shining moment, as I tried to continue after the path ran out, visiting a car dealer and a garden centre, and asking various people where the cycle path was. I realised (after heading back to the last place I'd seen a NCN sign) that the question I should have been asking is "which way is Brighton?

I was there to meet friends, and was running late, so didn't check my distance when I arrived. In fact, I was so concerned with catching it with them, that I'd been cycling through Brighton for quite a few minutes before I realised "I made it!" Anyway, when they asked how far I'd travelled, I checked my GPS:

97.8km! Just off a metric century. Dammit!

Thanks again for all the help. I'll post a photo a friend took of my arrival, if it doesn't look too sketchy. Then you'll see why I am smug when I scalped some MAMIL on road bikes.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
glad you had fun and arrived safe and sound. My first metric century, a couple of years ago, was London to Brighton

Furkz

Über Member
my friend also got lost on that ride hand turn went left to the car dealer too haha. I have only done the route once but you have to pay attention. seen a few people carry on going down the big hill in Handcross and not turning right.

well done though its a long ride

Thanks again for all the help. I'll post a photo a friend took of my arrival, if it doesn't look too sketchy. Then you'll see why I am smug when I scalped some MAMIL on road bikes.

Well, I finally caught up the my friend with the camera. Too bad you can't see my pink sandals :-)

Attachments

• IMG_4861.jpg
    IMG_4861.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,291

GGB_Andrew

Very tough doing Ditchling Beacon on a single speed, you need to be packing thighs like a Hushvold and stamina like a Wiggo to get up it without stopping. I didn't and neither did the two others on the ride who had single speeds

Top Bottom