What are my options for virtual training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steppylud

Über Member
Evening all.

Can the well informed of cyclechat give me some ideas as to what my options are for some Virtual Training?

I do not have a turbo trainer but I do have access to a bunch of basic spin bikes at work. I also have a Garmin Edge 520 with Speed and cadence sensors. I don't mind a subscription service like sufferfest or Zwift. But not really sure of the best way to tie things together for the best experience.

I could just get on the spin bike and ride but feel I would need some context to push myself and get the best out of my sessions.

Thoughts sil vous plait?

Ta.

vickster

Legendary Member
Evening all.

Can the well informed of cyclechat give me some ideas as to what my options are for some Virtual Training?

I do not have a turbo trainer but I do have access to a bunch of basic spin bikes at work. I also have a Garmin Edge 520 with Speed and cadence sensors. I don't mind a subscription service like sufferfest or Zwift. But not really sure of the best way to tie things together for the best experience.

I could just get on the spin bike and ride but feel I would need some context to push myself and get the best out of my sessions.

Thoughts sil vous plait?

Ta.
Nothing in here?

https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/virtual-training-bkool-zwift-cycleops-others.140/ :whistle:

vickster

Legendary Member
Big wuss. Forecast not bad around here for the next week

You'd be better off doing a proper spin class if you are such a girl...or bums and tums :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
Ride your bike, how's it different to running outside?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Basic spin bikes aren't going offer any real use when paired with zwift etc (if that's even possible)

Zwift and trainer road are usable with just speed and cadence if you had a turbo trainer though, trainer-road a would be a bit better in this respect as they use a bigger list of power curves for trainers than zwift (virtual power derived from speed on a known power curve)

I had looked into to this prior to settling on buying a turbo and putting a bike on it. My wife wanted a spin bike and we wanted virtual training. From what I understand you COULD use a spin bike with speed and cadence sensors and Bkool would work, but it will give you limited results and prevent you from joining any leagues. Beyond that I'm not sure of any other options, that's why I bit the bullet and settled on the Turbo...although my wife wasn't too happy about it.

Hi all,
I am stuck with a spin bike for now but want to use it for virtual training ie to use bkool or similar. I want to ride virtual routes.
I know this is suboptimum but just going for a bike ride is not an option for me right now.
I'm reading like crazy to figure it out but so far gathered apart from phone/ computer, I also need a peddle meter and a speed/ cadence sensor.

Can learned cyclechatters add any help to this? As said been reading but this 2016 thread and another by jeepfreak81 is the only I can find on here.

CXRAndy

Guru
Hi all,
I am stuck with a spin bike for now but want to use it for virtual training ie to use bkool or similar. I want to ride virtual routes.
I know this is suboptimum but just going for a bike ride is not an option for me right now.
I'm reading like crazy to figure it out but so far gathered apart from phone/ computer, I also need a peddle meter and a speed/ cadence sensor.

Can learned cyclechatters add any help to this? As said been reading but this 2016 thread and another by jeepfreak81 is the only I can find on here.

For a full fat experience with virtual riding, you need a smart turbo trainer(automatically variable resistance) Makes Tacx, Wahoo, Bkool, Elite- see DC rainmaker or JPlama videos for reviews.
These come with a built-in power meter. Other sensors are heart rate and cadence sensors. Options for running the Simulation is either PC/ laptop or Apple products, iPad/Apple TV.

Platforms
Zwift-racing, training, social rides-lots of users

Bkool lots of uploaded routes, including your own GPX files- not so many users, spread over many routes.

Bigringvr, HD quality real routes famous climbs around the world upload your own personal rides- small user base

Training solely

Trainer Road
Sufferfest

There are others but these cover most
All are subscription either monthly or yearly plans

Last edited:
Top Bottom