What are my rights !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Just thought id ask....So bought battery online with 2 year guarantee,five months and its died a death ! Had to send it back at my cost(more than what p and p was !!)Now they admit that its f@@@ but as a refund will only give me 60% of what i paid.Or a new battery.Obviously ive had to buy new allready,couldnt be of road while waiting for testing ect.Basically do you have any comeback on this,its becoming more a point of principle...

classic33

Leg End Member
Who offerred the guarantee?

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Whats too long ? They offer a two year warranty and it fails at 6 months.Any vehicle battery that fails a six months isnt fit for purpose

Cubist

Still wavin'
Whats too long ? They offer a two year warranty and it fails at 6 months.Any vehicle battery that fails a six months isnt fit for purpose
No, it was fit for purpose until it failed. At that point the seller has an obligation under the warranty to repair or replace it. Which they have. If you plugged it in on day one and it made some toast instead of powering your lights, you could have claimed it wasn't fit for purpose.

I concur with majority of opinion here, I work in retail and after a reasonable time (normally accepted as 28 days) it is up to the vendor whether they replace or refund so supplier is well within their rights to offer replacement only.... However returning it at your own cost is a grey area I feel they should offer some financial recompense for that aspect.....

On a slightly O/T note I am still amazed how many people think they are entitled to their money for unwanted items when bought in a shop..... present company I work allows refunds for a week or 2 but the previous people I worked for ran a 'you bought it you own it policy' I lost count of how many people got annoyed with me when I triued to enforce it.......

D

Deleted member 26715

They have offered to pay 60% of his postage costs or have I read that wrong, this is a grey area, but it may depend on how it was returned, if the postage cost was reasonable to return it or not.

Alan...

They have offered to pay 60% of his postage costs or have I read that wrong, this is a grey area, but it may depend on how it was returned, if the postage cost was reasonable to return it or not.

Alan...
I read it as he could 60% of purchase price OR a new battery but had to return item at own cost

D

Deleted member 26715

In that case unfortunately they are quite within their rights, although I do think 60% is a bit of a low ball unless the costs of the items are dropping quickly as well.

Alan...

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Ok bit confusing,i purchased said battery for 96 pounds with a two year warranty.After 5 and a half months the battery failed.I rang the company and was told id have to return it at my expense 27 pound for the courier !! Couldnt wait for the week it took to check as my buisness relies on me driving.Ive since recieved the call to say we accept theres a 'fault' and well replace.I said id rather be refunded as allready purchased another ect.I was then told they would refund me 60 pounds in all,no postage reimbursement.As most people would reconise less than 6 months for a car battery is dismall.End of rant,they lost some good buisness aswell !

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

Did you read the information in the link I gave you? In case you didn't realise there was a link there, here's the relevant part:

If you buy a product that turns out to be faulty, you can choose to reject it which means you can give it back and get a refund.
But, the law only gives you a reasonable time to do this – what's reasonable depends on the product and how obvious the fault is.
However, even with major purchases or complex items, it’s safest to work on the basis you usually have no more than three to four weeks from when you receive it to reject it.

GC

Top Bottom