What are the consequences of a diesel turbo failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Having the same thing with 2004 525d M Sport BMW. No smoke from mine just no power. Going through MAF - MAP - EGR - DPF in the vain hope its not the Turbo. So invested £79 on new glow plug controllers and £36 on the software and cable to read and clear faults, so far. Going to disconnect the MAF tomorrow and see how it runs.

People say just get shot but will never get the value had it 6 years 136k if I replaced it with similar year and model it would have more miles and cost me 6/7k I think I would rather throw a bit of money at this one and keep it. It does everything I need and is perfect for taking the 5 of us and 3/4 bikes down to the SW of France.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Thanks. What can I expect to find in my Golf TDI's EGR at 100K miles then? Should I take a peek?
I've heard that some people just install a blanking plate :secret:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Having the same thing with 2004 525d M Sport BMW. No smoke from mine just no power. Going through MAF - MAP - EGR - DPF in the vain hope its not the Turbo. So invested £79 on new glow plug controllers and £36 on the software and cable to read and clear faults, so far. Going to disconnect the MAF tomorrow and see how it runs.

People say just get shot but will never get the value had it 6 years 136k if I replaced it with similar year and model it would have more miles and cost me 6/7k I think I would rather throw a bit of money at this one and keep it. It does everything I need and is perfect for taking the 5 of us and 3/4 bikes down to the SW of France.
I've never known a turbo fault to cause lack of power, sounds like the engine may have gone into 'limp' mode to me.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I've never known a turbo fault to cause lack of power, sounds like the engine may have gone into 'limp' mode to me.
Turbo doesn't sound like it is working but no smoke or obvious fault codes. It drives just like it is 500cc in that great big lump of a car. I think one of the main issues is that in 2004 a lot of the stuff in it was new ideas I-Drive etc. and it was the first batch of the new model. A lot of it is going tits up now.

[QUOTE 4124776, member: 9609"]early ones an easy job with out needing to remap, then you could do it but needed to have them deleted from the ECU software, they are now complex water cooled devices that are so integrated into the running of the engine that they must be working correctly, very difficult to clean now and new ones can be around £750 on a car to a couple of K on a truck.

I believe with the latest low pollution diesels, it is questionable whether ownership outside warranty is just too risky. Was talking to a lad recently, 8K to replace the DPF on his MAN truck. Diesels were once simple to maintain and lasted for ever, now they are temperamental electronic nightmares that can only be looked after by the main dealer. :sad:[/QUOTE] Mine is relatively old and just the simplest of tasks are near on impossible for the home mechanic.

[QUOTE 4124776, member: 9609"]early ones an easy job with out needing to remap, then you could do it but needed to have them deleted from the ECU software, they are now complex water cooled devices that are so integrated into the running of the engine that they must be working correctly, very difficult to clean now and new ones can be around £750 on a car to a couple of K on a truck.[/QUOTE]
Don't modern VW diesels have an automatic remapping feature now? :whistle:

screenman

Legendary Member
Turbo fault can cause lack of power most particularly on modern variable vane of VGT jobs.

One of the problems I had with mine, it was causing overboost which was knocking it into limp home mode, quick stop and start would put it right for a while.

[QUOTE 4124908, member: 9609"]I have no idea but it wouldn't surprise me. Someone told me a little while ago (and I don't know if it is true) but on some of the Scania's the mapping reverts to its factory setting if the battery is disconnected. And I have also been told the latest generation are unmappable. security codes stop any changes. (don't know how that fits in with the agreement that vehicles can be repaired by other than the main dealer)[/QUOTE]
Think you missed my tongue in cheek remark - it was a reference to the recent VW emissions scandal :okay:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I have some black smoke from the exhaust when accelerating hard. 2 litre turbo diesel. I have been told if the turbo goes thats goodnight Irene for thr engine. Is this the case. 52 plate Toyota Corolla with 125 thousand on the clock.

Many thanks,

ssd

As others say if the engine digests any of the remains it could be costly

best way to help is to use good oil , let the engine idle for 45 seconds before turning it off

and keep on top of the servicing

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
[QUOTE 4124776, member: 9609"]early ones an easy job with out needing to remap, then you could do it but needed to have them deleted from the ECU software, they are now complex water cooled devices that are so integrated into the running of the engine that they must be working correctly, very difficult to clean now and new ones can be around £750 on a car to a couple of K on a truck.

I believe with the latest low pollution diesels, it is questionable whether ownership outside warranty is just too risky. Was talking to a lad recently, 8K to replace the DPF on his MAN truck. Diesels were once simple to maintain and lasted for ever, now they are temperamental electronic nightmares that can only be looked after by the main dealer. :sad:[/QUOTE]
Some of the older diesel engines are amazingly robust and adaptable. I met someone who is running his diesel on vegetable oil in the summer, and a blend of used engine oil and petrol in the winter. You should see the cloud of choking exhaust smoke when he does a cold start on vegetable oil xx(

Top Bottom