What are the laws regarding running an organized group ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I do get worried about the possible legalities sometimes, but carry on organising rides anyway.

To give you an example of what could happen ...

I organised a forum ride from Settle out into the Yorkshire Dales, and it included a beautiful ride up Kingsdale and Deepdale. Someone had showed it to me on a C+ forum ride years before and we had encountered very misty conditions on the way. At one point, I was descending quite quickly and suddenly found a closed gate across the road in front of me! I just managed to stop in time. Shortly after that was an extreme descent - 25% with hairpins - which needed to be tackled with great care.

So, when I plotted my route, I was aware of the potential dangers of that road. I decided to go along there anyway - it made a lovely route possible, and I assumed that all participants would be experienced cyclists with enough sense to listen to my warnings. I stopped before the gate and warned everyone about it, and I also told them about the dangerous descent ahead. There were no problems.

Several weeks later, an organised LEJOG went along the same road, with tragic consequences - LINK.

I have several million pounds worth of public liability cover on my home and contents insurance, but I must double-check that to see if rides are covered.

procel

Forget about getting them to sign liability waivers btw unless you've got an actual lawyer to draw it up and explain exactly what it means to the signers. Google 'volenti non fit injuria' - they're usually not worth the paper they're written on.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Today i was at a cycle event and there was a specialized display/presentation and they also had two organized rides, one on road one mtb They had each rider sign a disclaimer form waiving them of any liability. I kept a copy. I asked the guy from specialized if the disclaimers were drawn up by thier legal people, he said he had no idea but was under strict instruction not to allow anybody to ride without signing one.
The form is very comprehensive and seems to cover just about everything, and places all responsibilty fro everything, including the end of the world firmly onto the riders shoulders......seemingly.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I do...how could I forget the weather that day! I guess because there was no payment and we all were regular road cyclists that made the difference. Same on most cc group rides I suspect.

One other thought, if I just took this lot on a dull ride along cycle paths instead of a road ride would that make any difference? I suspect not still.but thought.I'd ask.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the CTC settles claims regularly. The important thing is that the injuries are usually rider to rider. Hence my insisting on every FNRttCer having 3rd party.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
in a general way -

prepare and organise rides as if you have no insurance. And then have the insurance. If you see what I mean.

Top Bottom