What are the laws regarding running an organized group ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I'v ejust been asked to organize a road ride for a bunch of non cyclists. This is likely to be a group of private individuals who just want to go cycling together around the sussex countryside, on road. I think it's like to be no more than 15 over no more than 20 miles. The thing is my instincts tell me this is a potential nightmare if someone should fall an dge thurt or cause an accident on my watch.

I havent agreed yet, it's just been suggested to me.

If it were a groups of seasoned roadies I'd be a lot less edgy, but these are.....cough......erm....car drivers.

Is there a maximum group size before all manner of laws and insurance requirements click in etc??

The group would be paying for the event indirectly via their own group membership fee. Im not taking any fee for this, its a favor for them.

Thought Id post in this forum as it's the nearest one I could think to the topic.

Thanks.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Where is the money going which they are paying then? I think that's where you run into casual/ organised rides once money changes hands.
Otherwise it's just a group of people meeting up to ride their bikes.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
It's a social meet up group who.pay the group administrator to join and to attend events. I'm in the group but not as administrator so it is just a group of friends out riding really. But likely a fairly largish group. It's not a regular ride, just a once off, and more likely to involve more stopping than riding I suspect.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Do they have public liability insurance and are you covered by it?

If not, run away!
This. Insist they have third party cover in case one injures another or an "innocent bystander." In my informal Church-based club they/we prove this by producing a valid membership of BC, CTC or LCC.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'd go further than that, if one of them loses their balance and injures themselves, you want to be protected in case they try to sue you.
You may go that far. I wouldn't. If they fall off and hurt themselves, unaided by any other, and sued me they would have to prove I was somehow negligent and I think that would be impossible to demonstrate.

Sharky

Guru
Just get them to sign a meaningless disclaimer that says 'at your own risk' before you start. Nothing will happen, and everyone will have a great time.

I run a similar event every year at my firm and get about 10 to 20 turning up.

I make them sign a disclaimer and on the form to disclose any medical problems, contact numbers and mobile numbers. Then take 4 or 5 copies and hand them round and leave one at our reception. Never had a problem and all enjoy themselves.

Keith

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
You could do with someone to ride at the rear of the group, the larger the group the more spread out they get, i lead a lot of rides mostly regulars but we get a few newbies as well, i will always get someone to ride at the back and i often drop back to make sure everyone is okay.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I think ill have them sign in blood that they won't sue me.

Actually I'm secretly looking forward to seeing a bunch of townie drivers get a taste of thier own medicine..
..but that's between me and the.entire internet.
You really really should not post things like that on a public forum. Exhibit A for the plaintiff m'lud. ;)

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'v ejust been asked to organize a road ride for a bunch of non cyclists. This is likely to be a group of private individuals who just want to go cycling together around the sussex countryside, on road. I think it's like to be no more than 15 over no more than 20 miles. The thing is my instincts tell me this is a potential nightmare if someone should fall an dge thurt or cause an accident on my watch.

I havent agreed yet, it's just been suggested to me.

If it were a groups of seasoned roadies I'd be a lot less edgy, but these are.....cough......erm....car drivers.

Is there a maximum group size before all manner of laws and insurance requirements click in etc??

The group would be paying for the event indirectly via their own group membership fee. Im not taking any fee for this, its a favor for them.

Thought Id post in this forum as it's the nearest one I could think to the topic.

Thanks.

forget the money thing and forget how many people you have with you. You have a duty of care whether you're paid or not, and whether there are three or three hundred of them. If you are negligent and somebody is hurt, you're going to find yourself in court. And, ignorance is no excuse - if you've not fully prepared, and kept a record of that preparation, you will go down. Preparation would include being across the way group rides should be run (the CTC can help here), consideration of the route in detail and the setting out and adherence to procedures on the day - in other words, a risk assessment that is both general and particular.

If the group they belong to won't assure you that you have at least five million in organiser's insurance...........walk away.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This legal culture is crap. As it's organised (of sorts) you will need insurance cover.

Thank god the club structure still survives, thankfully through BC membership and CTC, the club gets cover.

Give the CTC or BC a call

Top Bottom