What are the Police doing about cycle abuse ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

I am totally sick of the level of abuse I am subjected to on every ride here in Essex. I am shouted at, sworn at, have had objects thrown at me, gestured at, spat at and had my rear rack grabbed on a roundabout. It is nothing short of deliberate attempted murder at times by these scumbags. I dont see the police doing anything at all about it. They could run campaigns, poster, etc to educated these self-gratification artists and put some of them behind bars.

Also, what are local cycle clubs doing to raise awarness of this issue with the police and the community? Nothing from what I know.Why not?

Cycle abuse is a crime. It is time cyclists stood up and did something to stop this scandolous behavior on our roads.

Why are so many idiots in the UK so anti cyclists??? Why are they SO aggressive??

I rank them lower than cowards. They are lower than vermin. They wouldnt matter one bit to me if they were'nt endangering my life every time I ride.

I HATE motorists..

:tongue:

Tharg2007

Veteran
easy tiger! one day.... one day... just you wait and see.
they will run out of fuel or money soon dont' worry, then these idiots will be on bikes with the rest of us :tongue: oh nooooo!!!

domtyler

Über Member
Spending a couple of weeks cycling in Germany has really opened my eyes to just how bad things are here. Every single car driver in Germany was perfectly content to wait until safe and then overtake on the other side of the road. We weren't beeped once, the one time I was overtaken a bit too close I looked up to see an Italian number plate.

What I don't understand is that they all love their cars over there, yet still cycle too.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I get to fill in a form, have a cuppa with a bobby and they take it all very seriously. Then I get a call 3 weeks after to say there is nothing more they can do unless there is actually proof it ever happened. I disagree and say they can visit and have words...but they generally dont.

Cyclecam is on my xmas list but that is all about proving guilt post offence. I think the police should and could be doing much much more to run a campaign to educate these **&&65$£"! and try to reduce the instances of abuse in the first place. Cyclists are just easy targets and we take the brunt of the pent up anger and fury these losers build up inside them in their lost cause lives..If I were in America I would carry a gun and use it against these peasants.

mondobongo

Über Member
I mentioned in another thread on this topic, that our Club has a direct contact to report offences to and we know that they are dealt with I am coming to realise that we are lucky in this instance.

So the Police can deal with this issue when they want too, its just when they want too.

Chuffy

Veteran
mondobongo said:
So the Police can deal with this issue when they want too, its just when they want too.
I've had good responses when I've reported stuff to the police. In both cases the perp has had a visit from them. Pick your battles and don't ever assume that the police will jump every time you tell them to. If they did then they would spend 99% of their time pursuing pavement cyclists. At least they would if the never ending tirade of whinging letters in our local paper is anything to go by...

yello

Oh now come on, it's not THAT bad surely. Yes, sure, I had the occasional d*ckhead give me grief but, by and large, the majority of motorists were ok. I'm afraid I have to ask what you're doing to upset people if you're getting that much abuse.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I can sympathise, having moved from Essex seven years ago when things seemed to be getting worse for cyclists. I do know that south Essex has a particularly bad problem, because I can remember as long as 15 years ago a guy from Benfleet complaing that there were certain roads he could no longer cycle as he felt in so much danger from motorised chavs.

bonj2

Bigtallfatbloke said:
I am totally sick of the level of abuse I am subjected to on every ride here in Essex. I am shouted at, sworn at, have had objects thrown at me, gestured at, spat at and had my rear rack grabbed on a roundabout. It is nothing short of deliberate attempted murder at times by these scumbags. I dont see the police doing anything at all about it. They could run campaigns, poster, etc to educated these self-gratification artists and put some of them behind bars.

Also, what are local cycle clubs doing to raise awarness of this issue with the police and the community? Nothing from what I know.Why not?

Cycle abuse is a crime. It is time cyclists stood up and did something to stop this scandolous behavior on our roads.

Why are so many idiots in the UK so anti cyclists??? Why are they SO aggressive??

I rank them lower than cowards. They are lower than vermin. They wouldnt matter one bit to me if they were'nt endangering my life every time I ride.

I HATE motorists..

:angry:

I think you should modify your opinion from "I hate motorists" to "I hate essex".

Dayvo

just passin' through
bonj said:
I think you should modify your opinion from "I hate motorists" to "I hate essex".

Essex was OK when I lived there (just before chavs were unearthed), but I left 15 years ago! :angry:

Top Bottom