What are these?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yep, it's definitely part of the nipple

Ideally wheel could do with a rebuild if you were to be fussy. Not just replacing the broken nipples. Never seen them go quite like that before.

Have they trued or otherwise tinkered with your wheel as part of the service? If so I'd worry even more than a gorilla has been let loose with the spoke key to make such a pigs ear.

The broken nipples could be replaced of course and that would be the option I would expect from the shop if they were helpful (alternatively the flat "wheels/spokes are consumables, no warranty" line).

I'd actually doubt that the spokes are gripped by less thread - at a guess they have sheared at the end of the threaded part of the nipple, usually the flat part has some unthreaded section which overlaps. Easy way to tell - can you thread the broken bits back onto the exposed thread of the spoke? If not then there is no issue there with immediate danger of it just collapsing but of course truing the normal way with a key is now impossible and it wants sorting sooner rather than later.

If it were mine, I'd be dubious about the quality of the nipples if not the spokes (don't know your machine) so would be thinking of just redoing the whole thing as "best practise"

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
It's a fulcrum racing 7 wheel. I presume the nipples are part of that standard build for that wheel.

The power of twitter marketing. I posted a tweet about it and 20 mins later I got contacted via the company on twitter. Not sure what will come of it.

Top Bottom