1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What bag ?

Discussion in 'Components, Accessories and Clothing' started by MrGrumpy, 30 Jan 2008.

1. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Huge Member

Bags. rucksacks, courier type.

I currently use a rucksack ( has pocket for camelbak ) to carry stuff into work, but a) it ain`t very water proof and :biggrin: I don`t get much in it. So was thinking of buying something else. Have used panniers before but feel they make the bike unbalanced. So was thinking of a courier type, are they comfy ? Do they move about much, if they do thats no good. Whats the views folks ?

Wrong forum

2. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Huge Member

deleted

3. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

I used a Crumpler Courier bag for 3 years on my commute. It was huge inside, completely waterproof, and stayed exactly where it should be on my back, never with any comfort problems. I was fortunate enough to find it on the clearance rack at TK Maxx for £13.

So I'd recommend one if you want waterproof and huge carrying capacity.

Bagaboo are also excellent bags. It's an Eastern European guy who makes them himself. You can find him on Google.

4. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Huge Member

thanks, ive posted a similar post in the other forum after spotting my mistake here so appologies if its repeating.

5. Maz

Maz Guru

How do those courier bags stay in one place? Are they velcroed to your back or is there a rubber sheet on one side or something?

6. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

You get a third strap that goes under your other arm, on the good ones. Keeps it all nice and snug.

7. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

Crumpler use a stabilising strap - it works really well, I find (I have one of their camera bags, and it's superb). Can't speak for the other brands.

8. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

I've merged the two threads for you.

9. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Huge Member

halfords have a knog courier bag for £30 so was thinking that, as I also have a £10 voucher for there.

10. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Huge Member

cheers

11. redjedi

redjedi Über Member

I use a rucksack I got from Blacks (outdoor adventure store). It's designed for hikers I think, but you can get loads of stuff in it, it has a strap which goes around your waist to hold it in place, and I was surprised to find it is completely waterproof.
    And it only cost £25

12. Danny

Danny Legendary Member

Why not use some form of pannier instead. I find it a real drag to have cycle with something on my back for more than a short distance.

Ortleib, Carradice, and Altura all do briefcase style panniers in addition to the normal touring ones.

13. Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse New Member

I got a proper cycling rucksack at xmas, a Deuter one which has a rain cover etc, and it's very comfortable to wear. But expensive for a decent sized one, hence I waited til xmas for mine. Worth it though for me.

14. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

You just cannot beat proper panniers, I just went the whole hog and bought top of the range Ortliebs, front and back. I have never noticed that my bike feels unbalanced even if one side is significantly heavier than the other. Of course for really heavy loads any kind of body mounted bag is not suitable whereas strapping it to the bike is fine.

15. goo_mason

goo_mason Champion barbed-wire hurdler

I've been using a Berghaus Freeflow III 30+10 rucksack for almost two years. Good shoulder and waist straps, airflow back, bladder pocket, bags of room for clothes / breakfast / toolkit and spares, comes wih a raincover in a zipped-up pocket on the 'lid'.

For superb waterproofing and visibility, I use a Creative Reflectives reflective/hi-viz waterproof badckpack cover.