What Bearings For Headset and Bottom Bracket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nowadays the entire bottom bracket is replaced, not just the bearings. Since it is a FSA Gossamer crank, the BB is so-called BB30. These take 6806 Bearings but if it is a pressfit BB30, you need a special tool to replace the bearings. Usually the entire BB is replaced.
The headset is not really specified other than to say it is Aheadset style. It could be any brand and thus any bearing in there. Headset bearings vary vastly even though they are nominally all the same size. You will have to remove the bearings and hope there is a code etched somewhere on the cartridge itself if you want to order one. Unfortunately it isn't easy to say what's inside just from looking or reading the spec you posted.

Last edited:
BB30 with fsa external alloy cups as per description?
Yes, but that is vague. FSA Gossamer Crank is BB30. BB30 comes in two varieties and none are described as "external alloy cups." You only get naked BB30 which has the bearings fitted inside an aluminium BB shell or Pressfit BB30 which has the bearings in a plastic cup which then goes into a (typically) carbon frame. I don't know what they mean by that. Post a photo?

OP
OP
uclown2002

uclown2002

Guru
FullSizeRender.jpg

And definitely FSA Gossamer cranks.

OK, those are definitely not BB30 cranks then. That's a standard 24mm threaded cup bottom bracket. BB30 cranks have a 30mm spindle and that only 24mm.

If you have the right tool, you can replace the bearings in the cups but the cups are now so cheap, you just put new ones in.

You can get many, many different brands, including Shimano, FSA, Chris King....you name it.

You a asked about bearings. I've explained the headset scenario but for the BB, just buy new cups. They're called "external BB adapters" for some or other reason. They come in two versions, Italian and English. Judging by that flag on your bike, I'd say it does not parlez vouz Italian. Get the English (BSA) threaded adapters. You will need a special tool to take them out yourself and some knowledge about the one right hand and one left hand thread.

Attachments

• upload_2015-3-7_15-33-34.png
    upload_2015-3-7_15-33-34.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
uclown2002

uclown2002

Guru
OK I've ordered this- http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-tiagra-4600-bottom-bracket-cup-set/ and the appropriate tool :- http://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tools-hollowtech-ii-bb-and-crank-arm-tool/

In all likelihood I will use this on turbo so not looking to spend a fortune on bottom bracket.

I did email FSA a few days ago to ask what BB they supplied to Boardman and they told me it sounded like I needed a Gossamer MegaExo Bottom Bracket (68mm) SSP £44.95 :-

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/cyc...yCmV5_2AHC3m5Kvfem1YpqbkuzVmL2qfLwaAmTZ8P8HAQ

Am I right that both bottom brackets would be suitable?

Top Bottom