What bike chain do I need?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Foxstro

Regular
So I recently bought a nice little hardtail mountain bike, however the chain broke on my 6 miles in to my ride (awkward call to my father). I'm unsure of what chain I need to replace it, stupidly when the chain snapped I threw it in a bin so I can't measure it or anything like that.

The bike has six cogs at the back, and three cogs on the pedals if this helps.

Please, if anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Any standard 6/7/8 chain will do. Something like this

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Any chain marked as six or seven speed compatible will fit. Get one which has a quick link included to make it easier to fit. I've had KMC and Taya chains which I've got on fine with. A lot of people on here seem to have had problems with Shimano chains so I'd probably avoid those.

There should be instructions with the new chain but in case there aren't you'll find the new chain is supplied longer than you need. To work out the correct length wrap the new chain round the biggest front and rear cogs without putting it though the rear mechanism. Pull it tight then add 2 links to where the ends meet - this is the length you need.

If you don't already have one you'll need a chain splitter to shorten the chain to the length you have just measured. Fitting is easy - just be careful you thread it correctly through the front and rear derailleurs.

Top Bottom