What bike on a budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazza81

Über Member
What would be a decent mountain bike, second hand for about £150ish?

Not after anything fancy just something to take to the woods when i dont fancy going out on the road bike.

The only things id like are for it not to be too heavy and not have hydraulic brakes as ive heard they take some maintenance and it will more thsn likely sit in the shed for months at a time.

Not in any rush to get one but just after some decent bikes in my price range too keep a eye out on the selling sites

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I don't you need to worry about getting hydraulic brakes for £150! You're right, they might be trouble anyway.
This would be perfect IMHO and not too far from you. I used to have one of these and they are great bikes;
https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/...tage-steel-mountain-bike-fast-chcw/1331976061
Large frame so OK if you're around 6ft.

This is a cheaper option but still looks okay. These old Raleigh MTBs can go on for ages if looked after.
https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/raleigh-activator-bike-mountain-bike/1332207466
Just a budget model but should ride well. The Specialized is the better bike.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
At that price point it will really be governed by what's for sale locally to you.

I'd imagine there will be a few Carreras - they can be a bit weighty but don't rule them out as there are some good ones.
Mrs ND has a Carrera with mech disks and it's fun to ride and has needed virtually no maintenance in 2 years.
Boardmans are always cited as good value when new, so if you can find a decent one at that price it's worth a look.

Decathlon bikes are also well worth a look and Calibre (as sold by Go Outdoors) seem to get consistently good reviews.

Avoid Apollo or any of the supermarket / sports retailers own brand bikes and anything at that price offering "full suspension".

Unfortunately there might also be a few stolen ones around too, so be careful and do your checks.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
I was hoping for something a bit more modern, with front suspension possibly

Seen a couple rockhoppers for 160/180 disc brakes, they any good?

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Im seen a few carrera valour for around the £100 mark, thinking of getting that and upgrading the groupset, some used for £80/90

Worth doing?
I do like a tinker and have a little side project, keeps me getting bored

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Not really, you'd be better off upgrading the tyres. Maybe also the brake pads. Replacing the groupset you wouldn't see any real improvement except for a fancier chainset and a shinier derailleur.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Thats a good idea and would make a great project, single speed MTB but maybe more work than you'd be prepared to do. You'd have to re-dish the rear wheel.

Top Bottom