What bike shall I get?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Praeceps

Hey there, I'm between 2 bikes. A Boardman MX Sport for £400 or a Merida Crossway 20-D for £500. Is the £100 extra for the Merida worth it? or just go for the Boardman?

The Boardman can be gotten from Halfords of course and the Merida can be bought from a local cycling shop.

This would be for commuting to work and some bridleway cycling.

I went there on Friday to test the Merida and there was some rubbing with the brakes, I went there on Saturday again and after I tested it 3 times they worked out it was the hydraulic pressure. They said that hydraulic brakes can be a pain but I was still kind of put off that I wasted time there. They said to be back the next day(today) and it should be sorted to buy but I didn't end up going there. I thought to check out Halfords and noticed the Boardman on there.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you've gone off the Merida get the Boardman, but test ride it first (the cycle republic arm of Halfords offer on road test rides, Halfords don't)

What's the spec of the Boardman, some mechanical brakes are very poor.
Ah it has Tektro hydraulics, certainly not the best. The bike is also nearly 14kg which is quite weighty, likely due to the suspension fork

Last edited:
Top Bottom