What bike should I buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Adeola

Adeola

Thanks guys. Will have a proper look through and will also visit an Evans. I was considering going to Decathlon but from some of these responses, I'm gathering that it's not so great?

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks guys. Will have a proper look through and will also visit an Evans. I was considering going to Decathlon but from some of these responses, I'm gathering that it's not so great?
Decathlon’s bikes are good value but not fancy. They have basic flatbar bikes under £500. If you want light with higher end components, look elsewhere. For £2k, you could even get a bike built up if you find a frameset you like but not the specification :smile: then you’d have something unique and special :okay:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
a little below budget - £1500 to £2000

https://www.evanscycles.com/scott-metrix-10-disc-2018-hybrid-bike-EV314384

https://www.evanscycles.com/bmc-alpenchallenge-01-two-2018-hybrid-bike-EV302756

https://www.evanscycles.com/cube-sl-road-sl-2018-hybrid-bike-EV319291

or a little above budget - £2500

https://www.evanscycles.com/bmc-roadmachine-02-flatbar-2018-hybrid-bike-EV302710

or find a frame you like and build your own machine, with the components that fit your desire

you could purchase the pinnacle neon frame from evans cycles, buy wheels, DI2 and finishing kit all for less than 2k........if you know how to build

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Decathlon’s bikes are good value but not fancy.

Except the ones that are quite fancy - hence the mention of the Ultra earlier. These are the same bikes that they supply to their sponsored racing team in France and they are exceptional quality for the money - not just the component spec but the frames as well.

Anyway, I'm being picky - you're absolutely right that on the whole they are mostly focused on the cheap and cheerful end of the market and probably won't have anything that matches the OP's requirements.

vickster

Legendary Member
The snob in me still doesn’t want a bike that says btwin on it, especially for £2k. Each to their own. At least the 920 is not Matt black :whistle:

Lozz360

Veteran
The snob in me still doesn’t want a bike that says btwin on it, especially for £2k. Each to their own. At least the 920 is not Matt black :whistle:
My understanding is that soon you will not be able to. Buy a new B'Twin anyway, as Decathlon are to rebrand them as Ultra, Triban, Rockrider, etc.

To the OP, Decathlon do offer bikes that are excellent value for money but you have a budget of £2k so your choice is greater. IMHO it is worth having a look at what Decathlon have to offer as you may find that you can get a bike that fulfills all your wishes and have a lot of change from that £2k.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
To the OP, Decathlon do offer bikes that are excellent value for money but you have a budget of £2k so your choice is greater. IMHO it is worth having a look at what Decathlon have to offer as you may find that you can get a bike that fulfills all your wishes and have a lot of change from that £2k.
And you get a lifetime warranty on aluminium frames and five years on carbon plus the reassurance of buying from the worlds largest cycle retailer. Worth considering.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Have to say I rather like the look of the Boardman URB 9.4...
urb94.jpg

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/1586-urb-9.4.html

Alfine Di2 hub, Gates belt drive, disc brakes, and mounting points for rack and mudguards. Lovely colour too. If I had £2k to blow on a flat-bar road bike, it would be a very strong contender.

vickster

Legendary Member
My understanding is that soon you will not be able to. Buy a new B'Twin anyway, as Decathlon are to rebrand them as Ultra, Triban, Rockrider, etc.

The snob in me wouldn’t want any of those written on a frame either :laugh: My 2kish is earmarked for Ti now anyhow

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
The snob in me wouldn’t want any of those written on a frame either :laugh: My 2kish is earmarked for Ti now anyhow
But just because your snobniness wont allow you to buy one, it doesnt mean no one else can

vickster

Legendary Member
But just because your snobniness wont allow you to buy one, it doesnt mean no one else can
Hence my comment earlier of each to their own ;)

The OP mentions wanting a light, fancy flatbar with a budget up to 2k. Decathlon don’t really have such a bike, even if their £500 one is a fine vfm bike

Last edited:

bpsmith

Veteran
Tbh I think @vickster was just being honest at how daft it is about the name on the tubes having an effect on whether a purchase is made or not.

I agree that the OP’s definition of the bike they want doesn’t match what Decathlon sell. I also agree that it doesn’t mean they’re bad bikes too.

We’re very complex, us human beings. There are certain brands actually, at both ends of the cost spectrum, that I simply wouldn’t buy as they just don’t appeal. I don’t have any opinion whatsoever on whether others like them or not, or what they ride tbh. I also don’t really mind what others think of my choice of Belgian brand of bike. That’s the beauty of cycling.

Vickster hates my latest one with very little consideration given, due to it being ultra stealth Matte Black. It does annoy me a tiny bit that I can’t hate her latest choice of Ti though. Lol :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Tbh I think @vickster was just being honest at how daft it is about the name on the tubes having an effect on whether a purchase is made or not.

I agree that the OP’s definition of the bike they want doesn’t match what Decathlon sell. I also agree that it doesn’t mean they’re bad bikes too.

We’re very complex, is human beings. There are certain brands actually at both ends of the cost spectrum that I simply wouldn’t buy as they just don’t appeal. I don’t have any opinion whatsoever on whether others like them or not, or what they ride tbh. I also don’t really mind what others think of my choice of Belgian brand of bike.

Vickster hates my latest one with very little consideration given, due to it being ultra stealth Matte Black. It does annoy me a tiny bit that I can’t hate her latest choice of Ti though. Lol :smile:
I’ve not even seen your bike. I don’t even know what it is or if I did, I’ve forgotten as I probably didn’t care much. And hate is rather strong :wacko:

Last edited:
Top Bottom