What bike... sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

Just stumbled across this forum and it seems great so far!

I'm looking to buy a bike... obviously! Mainly for cycling around the local area, bike tracks (not big jumps or anything) and to generally get myself fit and take our some of the local National Trust parks and what not. I've a Chain Reaction store half an hour away and I'm heading there this weekend but I just wondered whether anybody had any suggestions upfront? I'm approx 16.5 stone and also want to lose a bit of weight on this if that makes a difference.
Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Budget?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello mike and welcome to the forum.
You need to start with getting a diet sorted, chose one that suits you and think you might be able to stick to. You won't lose weight by cycling alone.
Build up the miles slowly and don't get too ambitious too soon. It'll be a bit of a shock to the system at first but you'll soon settle into it. Use the bike for a purpose like going shopping.
Any preference for bike type, straight or drop bars? Do you want to use it off road at all?
We can make some suggestions when you come back with a budget.

tom73

Guru
:welcome:

What else is on your list of want's like @Cycleops says drops, straight ect ?
If you're calling in to the shop than see what you like and tat meets your needs. Then come back with a list and we can better help you.
Get your diet sorted not easy i know but look at it as an investment for your next ride. Start slowly and steady and the miles will come in time.

Good luck

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@mike.chandler welcome , go and sit on as many bikes as you can within your budget and see what suits you best
Or do you have anywhere locally that does bike hire if so go and try one and see what you think
Oh and enjoy the experience and the journey ahead

OP
OP
M

mike.chandler

Hi all, thanks for the warm welcome and the replies. Agree about the diet, I’ve lost 3st in the past on SW but put 2st back on so I’m hoping the rising, along with sticking to plan will help.

I would like straight bars, maybe a bit of off road as well. Budget Is flexible, would be prepared to go to c£750 but I dunno if that’s a realistic budget for what I need etc?

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi all, thanks for the warm welcome and the replies. Agree about the diet, I’ve lost 3st in the past on SW but put 2st back on so I’m hoping the rising, along with sticking to plan will help.

I would like straight bars, maybe a bit of off road as well. Budget Is flexible, would be prepared to go to c£750 but I dunno if that’s a realistic budget for what I need etc?
Perfectly reasonable. Look at hybrids with a rigid fork (no need for suspension if not off road riding). I’d probably go for a 32-35mm tyre, disc brakes, carbon fork. CRC own Vitus brand offers good vfm

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Flat bar 700c wheel sized hybrid. No skinny tyres - look for 35/38 mm wide for comfort. No suspension. Triple front chainring, as you're heavy and will need relatively low gearing at least to begin with.
All practical transport bikes need full mudguards and a rear rack, so they can also be used for utility purposes such as light shopping. Practical bikes tend to get ridden more than impractical ones, so if you want to get some mileage in to improve fitness, don't buy something you can't carry anything on or can't ride on wet roads without getting spattered with road filth.
My preference for all types of bike is quality steel framed and secondhand, as they can offer outstanding value and are often much nicer than the cheap end of the new bike market.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

If i was you i would be looking at good old fashioned steel mtb's with no suspension like this one Marin Bear Valley 1992

And put the rest of your budget back in your wallet

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
There is very little correlation between the amount of money a bike costs and how nicely it rides or how trouble-free or unreliable it is.
Cheap used bikes can be utterly dependable and expensive new bikes can be badly-assembled headaches. Which you end up with is partly luck of the draw, and partly down to diligent purchasing.
I consider new bikes to actually be a worse risk than old ones, because these days they are likely to have been badly thrown together by a spanner monkey, whereas 30 years ago you could reasonably expect even a fairly low-budget bike to at least come basically correctly assembled and need nothing more than minor adjustments to suit the rider.

tom73

Guru
Nice one for making a start on your weight :okay:
plenty around for your budget see what you think of when you go to the store.

Another one to look at is planet x london rd do every thing you want has mounts if you need them, come's in a flat bar option great fun to ride too .
I've one set up as a flat bar happy on road and off and more than at home on the sort of ride your looking for.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXL...don-road-sram-apex-1-flat-bar-urban-road-bike

Another option again planet x which meet's your need's a bit over budget is this one
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXFMAPEX1FLAT/planet-x-full-monty-sram-apex-1-flat-bar-gravel-bike

Another to have a look at is trek the fx range has all you want and number on or under budget.
Mrs 73 has a fx3 and loves it mostly used for urban and day's out on trail rides.
You may have a dealer near you they sell on line too https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/hybrid-bikes/c/B528/

Good luck

tom73

Guru
What ever you go for new or 2rd hand after looking at if it will do the job and it fits. Ask will I be happy to be seen on it ? You're more likely to go out on one you're happy to seen with.
If you want a new one got the money then go for it your investing in your health both physical and mental once you get going boy is it fun :okay:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
There is very little correlation between the amount of money a bike costs and how nicely it rides or how trouble-free or unreliable it is.
Cheap used bikes can be utterly dependable and expensive new bikes can be badly-assembled headaches. Which you end up with is partly luck of the draw, and partly down to diligent purchasing.
I consider new bikes to actually be a worse risk than old ones, because these days they are likely to have been badly thrown together by a spanner monkey, whereas 30 years ago you could reasonably expect even a fairly low-budget bike to at least come basically correctly assembled and need nothing more than minor adjustments to suit the rider.
That's certainly true, cheap used bikes can be a good buy but but it is often down to the luck of the draw if you don't know what to look for when buying they can end up costing as much again to put right if you run into worn/unservicable items.
As much as the recommendations above are good I'd recommend you stick with something from CRC as they are near by. If anything goes wrong you've got help and they usually do a free first service, plus you will get the bike fitted for you which is important for comfort and of course you can see and try before you buy. Your budget will get you a good bike. Be sure to buy a secure lock too if you're going to leave it anywhere.
Good luck

Last edited:
Top Bottom