What bike thread...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alvintc

Veteran
Lets start with a big HI!
I guess I'm about to ask a question that's been asked a million times before!

What Bike (type) should I be going for?
I'm looking to start cycling to work, which according to google is about 18 miles each way.

The route is from west London to Maidenhead, so a lot of it will be on the A4/ quite busy roads.

I'm not sure if I should be looking at a road bike or a hybrid?

I'm 176cm, 106Kg @ around 29% fat... so pretty big, but a decent chunk is muscle.

So, over to the experts please!

Alvin.

blockend

If you want to be sensible buy a hybrid. If you want something you enjoy riding enough to use everyday buy a road bike. If you want the best of both worlds get a tourer.
Of course hybrids range from road racing bikes with flat bars to 40lb road slugs so you may need to narrow it down a little.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Hi Alvin & welcome to the Forum

What's your budget?

If you are happy on drop bars I'd look at bikes aimed at the "audax" market.
Usually slightly more robust and more comfortable than a pure "roadie" but faster than a "tourer".
Whatever you get, don't be conned by the fashion for low spoke count wheels. Don't know what your route is like for potholes but given the state of most roads I'd suggest 36 spoke over 32 spoke.

OP
OP
A

alvintc

Veteran
Thanks guys!
I'm guessing including budget would have helped immensely! Well... if I can get work to sign up to the ride to work scheme, it'll be around £4-500... if not, max is £300.

I'm thinking that something to get me to work with minimal effort at a decent speed.
So far I've looked at the Carrera TDF in Halfords as that appears to be in my budget & something to start with!

Thanks for the suggestions so far, and if anyone has any specific makes/ models that work/ don't work I would love to hear them!

blockend

The only test with a hybrid is to pick one up. Some practical looking machines are a hernia op looking for a victim. Trad roadsters with rod brakes weigh less than some hybrids.

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
blockend said:
The only test with a hybrid is to pick one up. Some practical looking machines are a hernia op looking for a victim. Trad roadsters with rod brakes weigh less than some hybrids.

I went in a cafe the other day that had one of those hanging on the wall using bent shelf supports... I declined to sit under it :tongue:

For 18miles each way I'd be wanting a Road bike (speed, efficiency, more hand positions etc) but I don't know if you'd get a decent one new for £300 you could try the 2nd hand market. Hellfrauds do seem to offer the most vfm frames, its just a pity about the majority of their staff. If you can push the budget a bit Ed Co Op do some quite good bikes that are well reviewed (Revolution Bikes).

Mike!

Guru
I'd agree with HLab about a road bike with that kind of mileage.

Halfauds Carrera range are well respected and often under £300 new when they have offers on.

OP
OP
A

alvintc

Veteran
I ended up getting a halfords Carrera TDF road bike. I don't really know an awful lot about them but it seems good to me!
So far my journeys have been:
23/06 Ride back from Halfords ~ 1 mile
24/06 Small circuit ~ 4 Miles
03/07 Bigger Circuit ~ 9.95 Miles (47 Mins)
04/07 Big Circuit ~ 21.21 Miles (1hr 28 mins)

Starting to realise just how bad the roads are! Also I'm damn sure hills that are not there in the car are added on the bike!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I find my carrera bikes great fun and good spec for the money, when i saw the new TDF i was chomping at the bit to get one but i am allowed only 2 bikes by the (wife) Boss.

I think the TDF has mounting points for gaurds + rack so will be a great as a commuter, i know my virtuosso has .

have fun ;):biggrin:

Top Bottom