What bike to get

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crispy

Hi all just joined. I'm wanting to get a bike on the cycle to work scheme so my budget is about £800. I intend using it for going 10 miles each way to work, also at weekends but nothing too serious. I've had a few people suggest the Galaxy or Super Galaxy 2007 models from Spacycles. I'm 6'3" and quite big 17 stone. Will need to carry a bit of weight as I carry lots of stuff in and out of work. Although in general it will be a commuting bike I would like to think that i'd have a bash at some touring but not yet. Also had the Dawes Audax Sport mentioned. Along with lots of other bikes from Kona to Ridgeback.

DLB

Hi Crispy

i just thought i'd say 'welcome' to the forum. I can't help you with your bike finding but i'm sure someone will be along soon to give you lots of (mainly useful) advice. :biggrin:

Once you've got the bike i would recommend picking up a copy of the book 'cyclecraft' to give you lots of useful tips for riding safely.

ash68

Hi crispy,there is a similar thread going on in Touring and expedition called "tourer for a BIG bloke" may be worth a look in there.BTFB has a galaxy and he seems to love it, read his posting in the thread. I bought a set of wheels from Spa cycles for my old Galaxy(now sadly deceased due to an argument with a car) and they were great. Hope this helps. And welcome to the forum:smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Another happy Galaxy owner here, although I'm a girl, and while I'm not Kate Moss, I'm not that big either...

And I'd second the advice on getting Cyclecraft.

Oh, and hello, and welcome!:biggrin:

snorri

Legendary Member
Welcome Crispy:smile:
When considering your budget, do remember all of the other things required to make your ride to work a pleasant experience, like waterproof/windproof clothing, footwear, gloves and headgear. Then for the bike, lights, mudguards, racks, panniers, bike lock and a computer adds to the interest.
It all mounts up as they say.:biggrin::ohmy:

postman

Legendary Member
Hello hope you enjoy your time on here and your bike when found.Iam 6-4 and 16st.SPA CYCLES in Harrogate,Dawes Galaxy 64cm frame size.Had it three years now and no problems.Steady bike not flashy but reliable.You won't break any speed limits.But you will have a nice comfy ride every time out.Just make sure it is set up right before you take it away .Sit on it in the shop,see if they will allow you to ride it a short distance.Spa Cycles did with me.FIRST CLASS service.

frog

Hi Crispy and welcome!

also at weekends but nothing too serious.

Yeah . . That's what most of us said when we started cycling as well :biggrin:

doyler78

Lardyboy said:
£800 is quite a serious amount of money on a C2W. scheme as you can almost double that in real terms for the actual price of the bike!

You have misunderstood the scheme I fear. The savings are after you have bought the bike and are acrued through the whole loan period. He probably can't buy a £1600 bike because most people will be constrained to £1,000 max. He has probably bought the £800 bike in the knowledge that he will be only spending £400-500 in the end.

alfablue

Spa Cycles is a good place to buy, but they add 12 1/2% to the web price of bikes bought through Cyclescheme. I think this is a bit cheeky as the comission they pay is less than this AFAIK.

OP
OP
C

Crispy

The bike I've decided on is the 2007 Super Galaxy, There letting me have it for £778 that includes 12% for using the cylescheme but I get 43% off this price. So getting the bike for £443. I can also get equipment on this so have opted for a new saddle and some new pedals on advice from other thread. Also going to get a carradice bureau but not definite about this.

OP
OP
C

Crispy

The bike I've decided on is the 2007 Super Galaxy, There letting me have it for £778 that includes 12% for using the cylescheme but I get 43% off this price. So getting the bike for £443. I can also get equipment on this so have opted for a new saddle and some new pedals on advice from other thread. Also going to get a carradice bureau but not definite about this.

ash68

hope your very happy with it and get in lots of enjoyable miles.Reading the previous threads, everyone who's bought a galaxy/super galaxy seems to have been pleased with their bike.And Spa Cycles are first class for service.

ash68

hope your very happy with it and get in lots of enjoyable miles.Reading the previous threads, everyone who's bought a galaxy/super galaxy seems to have been pleased with their bike.And Spa Cycles are first class for service.

Top Bottom