What bike would it have been??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I was in London a few days ago and came across a vintage bike locked up against a lamp post (just off Oxford Street). It had clearly been repainted as there was no writing on the frame (it was golden brown with white stripes on the seat/downtube , HOWEVER, the headbadge was still there).

Unfortunatelly, the bike was so tight against the lamp post that I could only read half of the badge, but it was circular/oval and it appeared to read something like 'RVELL' or similar like 'LZELL' and it said 'Hounslow' underneath.

Any ideas??

Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I also saw an oriental guy with a slightly rusty Sun (snigger snigger) on the Southbank one day, but he was a bit cagey about me asking questions. He said he thought it was from the '70s, but I thougt it would be older. I really wish I could remember the name of the model, I really should have taken a picture of it!!

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I may be wrong but something is telling me that I think Revell might have been a brand made exclusively for Madison Cycles, who may well have been in Hounslow then. Perhaps someone on here can confirm or deny, but I'm almost certain they were made for a distributor, but by who I do not know.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I may be wrong but something is telling me that I think Revell might have been a brand made exclusively for Madison Cycles, who may well have been in Hounslow then. Perhaps someone on here can confirm or deny, but I'm almost certain they were made for a distributor, but by who I do not know.

also had some loose connection to Holdsworth as well i think

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I wish I had taken a picture of it, but it just wasn't practical at the time. It was a nice looking bike which is why it caught my eye in the first place, and it was in the Oxford/Regent Street area anyway, so it may be there again if the owner frequents that area.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Found this:

Beta Bikes -> Madison -> Freewheel. 275 West End Lane NW6 has been a bike shop for as long as I can remember and is now Cycle Surgery.
Revell was one of the Madison marques. I think they were quite good.

Not a Hounslow postcode though.

Also, there was a guy at our campsite who was touring on a dark blue F. W. Evans. I meant to speak with him but never got round to it :sad:

Top Bottom