...What Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mr SHK's Brompton is broken, and we are waiting to hear whether it will be covered under warranty or not (it's past warranty, so could go either way). However, assuming it isn't covered, should he get another Brompton or a different, 'normal', bike?

Household pre-broken-bike was 2x Bromptons (mine, his) + 1x Workcycles Fr8 (for carrying Master SHK, now 3). We have no car.

Bromptons were bought as we had no storage at the time, but having them has really been convenient. They have enabled us to do lots of bike/train combined journeys that would have been difficult with a fullsize bike.

I am perfectly happy with my Brompton. Mr SHK is a bit taller so has the extended seatpost and finds mine slightly uncomfortable as it's too short. We could, probably, get the extended seatpost fitted to mine - making it more shareable between us, but then I'd be riding the Fr8 (or his bike, likely to be too big for me unless it's like the Fr8 and adapts to rider size) whenever he was on my Brompton.

Budget: ideally under £500, but anything likely covered by the Cycle to Work scheme possible (up to £1,000).
Riding: 'utility' cycling (main form of transport); but if we needed to carry loads of stuff, we'd use the Fr8 - which has loads of capacity.
Terrain: 99% of the time will be on-road (albeit with variable surfacing...) normal inner-city/suburban. Largely flat.

Any suggestions?

Top Bottom