What bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GlenBen

Über Member
Hi,

Looking to try my hand at a bit of off roading. Fairly steady trails locally, no hills but classed as red route, plus a few foresty routes.

So the question, any bike recomendations? Currently only have a road bike and have never even owned a mountain bike.

Budget of 1000 max, preferrably cheaper but want something reasonably good so I wont want to be upgrading in 6 months.

5ft8 if that makes a difference to wheel size?

Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
The Calibre bikes from go outdoors are well regarded or decathlon?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Strictly, wheel size makes no difference to fit.

There are three points of contact on a bicycle - pedals, saddle, and handlebars.

The relative position of those is what's important, and wheel size doesn't impact on that - as demonstrated by small wheeled bikes such as Brompton.

Bigger wheels will give a higher standover, which only matters when you have a foot on the ground.

Some makers, such as Cube, tend to fit 650b on smaller mountain bikes and 29er on bigger ones, probably because smaller wheels on a smaller frame makes the bike look better balanced from the all important side view.

Your budget gives you a wide choice.

Seems to me there tends to be bigger discounts on clearance MTBs than roadie bikes, so I would look at something from the likes of Pauls.

Even the cheapest £300 - £400 hardtails are decent.

Pay a few hundred more and you are well into nice bike territory.

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/bikes/mountain-bikes/male/adult

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
This new older stock (2018) looks good for £539. Decent Spec with a Manitou Air fork.
https://www.startfitness.co.uk/cycl...mountain-bike-green-mer-big-seven-500-18.html

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Merida looks an excellent bike for the money, and they have medium which is probably the OP's size.

One disadvantage of my clearance bike plan is that such bikes are often only available in less popular sizes.

Ten speed is a good choice from a durability and component replacement cost point of view.

The bike also has plenty of mounts which make it versatile should the OP decide to go in a more trekking style ride direction.

Under 12kg which is good for an MTB at this price.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The first thing you need to do is find out what type of bike you need, a MTB or a gravel/adventure.
The latter is going to be more adaptable. Go and try a few to find out what might suit you better.
Mountain bikes trends tend to change quickly so older/ last year's models can be great bargains and buying second hand can yield even better value.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The OP has specified red routes which puts him firmly in the MTB category.
And I always thought that meant strictly no parking 😊. My advice on MTBs still holds true.

Hi,

Looking to try my hand at a bit of off roading. Fairly steady trails locally, no hills but classed as red route, plus a few foresty routes.

So the question, any bike recomendations? Currently only have a road bike and have never even owned a mountain bike.

Budget of 1000 max, preferrably cheaper but want something reasonably good so I wont want to be upgrading in 6 months.

5ft8 if that makes a difference to wheel size?

Thanks
I like the Merida option above, this Cube looks a good bet as well
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...-tm-pro-27-5-mountain-bike-2019/rp-prod181596
In 18 inch so should be a good fit.

froze

Über Member
First off you don't want to go too cheap because you will compromise the fork, and suspension forks on bikes under $750 are heavy, do not work good, will fall apart and a new fork can cost darn near what the bike did, take more watts to propel the bike forward, just not a win win situation. I think your $1,000 range is good.

One of the best bikes for the money is a bike built in the USA called the Fezzari Wasatch Peak Comp 29er, this bike is right at your $1,000 level but it has really nice Deore components with the modern 1x10 wide range drivetrain, a good quality SR Suntour XCR 34 fork which is a $300 fork and considered to be the best of any fork anywhere near its price range. The bike also comes with internal routing for brakes, shifter and an optional dropper seat post. Also included is the much regarded Shimano MT200 hydraulic disk brakes, all reviews on those brakes that I have seen have been 5 stars. So that's a well though out and well made bike for not a lot of money.

Another really nice bike for the same money as the above bike is the Kona Blast and the Mahuna, they use a bit better front shock fork called the RockShock Silver, this has metal bushings instead of plastic like the SR, and it's about 150 grams lighter. But this bike is made in Taiwan instead of America so you will get a bit more for your money.

The only bike I would recommend that would save you a bit of money to the ones I listed is the Giant Talon 29 2. It uses the next level down fork from the RockShock Silver called the XC 30 it's below the SR Suntour XCR 34, the XC30 is heavy but this is what your going to find when you get down to the $720 range that this Giant comes in at.

So if paying $1,000 is to much, you could spend less than later when the fork goes bad replace it with the Silver or upgrade to the DFS Air Fork RLC, or the XOSS MTB fork. But here again by the time you did that you would have $1,000 into the bike but you are spreading out the money for who knows how many years before you need a new fork.

OP
OP
GlenBen

GlenBen

Über Member
Well I have spent most of a day looking through different specs etc, there are so many options that I hadnt even considered. Thank you all for the input.

@Cycleops i had considered a gravel bike, but i think id like one of those aswell at somepoint, possibly when i replace the roadbike.

@Spiderweb i do like the look of that scott.

And @froze thank you for the detail, gave me an idea of what to look for.

These are two others ive seen that seem ok spec wise, but the weight is pushing 14kg on both, any thoughts?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOOSCSX/on-one-scandal-sram-sx-mountain-bike

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mounta...menfarbe=RD/BK&dwvar_2455_pv_rahmengroesse=XS

Again, thank you all for the help.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
The Canyon looks nice but why have they used an SR Suntour fork?
That would be a no no for me.
The Planet X looks excellent, definitely worth considering.

weight wise, anything with Suspension is not going to be featherweight.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The On One has a SRAM groupset which many people don't generally rate in comparison to Shimano.

Both the On One and the Canyon are 12 speed, which puts you into expensive transmission component replacement territory, whatever the brand.

The more speeds you have, the less durable the bits are, so that's another reason to avoid 12 speed.

As regards bottom brackets, I'm not sure why the bikes you've looked at are mostly square taper.

But I would see that as a benefit - square taper has a lot to commend it being durable and cheap to replace.

Once again, Shimano is the brand to look for.

A cheap no name bottom bracket may be fitted at the factory because it's one of those components that a buyer may not pay much attention to.

A quality Shimano replacement is only about £15.

Top Bottom