what bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peggy35

hi me and my freind are thinking of doing (lejog) next year and we are not sure what type of bike is best suited for the trip.I have read that parts of the ride is on bumpy cycle paths and dont know if a racer is a good choice?

sabian92

Über Member
Well, are you sticking to all roads? That's the main thing to think about.

Are you going to be camping or staying in hotels/B&Bs? Camping obviously means extra weight with the tent, sleeping bag, etc and if you're cooking on a stove that adds up too.

OP
OP
P

peggy35

we are planning on mainly camping,dont know the way we are going to go yet, i have just been reading comments on the forums about cycle paths.

sabian92

Über Member
If you stick on the roads you'd get away with thinner, slicker tyres which in turn will increase your speed a fair bit over an average. Having an idea on your route and what sort of surfaces you'll be riding on will be the best way to decide what tyres and bike to use, obviously if you use gravel toe-paths and muddy trails you won't be able to do it on 23c tyres, and likewise if you stick to all roads, doing it on 26x2.1 knobblies will be painfully slow (as in sub 10mph average).

Having a tent and cooking stuff adds up to a fair amount of weight so you'll probably be going for a full on tourer anyway. I'm not a tourer but I know a lot of people on here swear by bikes like the Dawes Galaxy.

hubbike

If you stick to roads and stay in hotels/b&bs then a racer is ideal. If you fancy throwing in a few tow paths and carrying stuff then a rugged tourer or a commuter/hybrid might be better...You could quite happily use a hard tail mountain bike if you wanted too. so just about any bike you have lying around basically!

If you are looking to buy a bike, buy the bike you want and pick a route/style that suits the bike. It's not like your going to throw the bike away at the end is it?!

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
A late 80s Dawes Galaxy in nice condition will set you back about £250, a 1990s one will be £350-400, a 2000s one £400-500, 2008-2011 £500+

With 32c tyres they should tackle most types of hard surface.

Ridgeback do the Horizon and Voyage model tourers

Raleigh do the Randonneur, Royal and Pioneer Venture models.

Edinburgh Bikes do their Revolution Traveller range

Tourers tend to hold their price so if you buy 2nd hand you will not make much of a loss on resale.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
On my LEJOG ans JOGLE rides I saw bikes of every description on the route ranging from cheap entry level mountain bikes through racers of all descriptions and hybrids and custom tourers.

There's no single route for LEJOG the route is entirely up to the rider.

You can choose to do it using Sustrans' routes but you'll probably find that you are doing unnecessary miles but you might have a more scenic experience bearing in mind the scenic also embraces hills and climbs.

If you already have a bike see if it can be adapted to do the job. If it can't use it now to get some miles into your legs while you consider your options for the bike for the ride.

Mitz

I bought a Btwin Riverside 7 in the end, mainly because I am in Spain and getting a second hand Dawes was difficult. I'm finding it excellent in training.

Top Bottom