What 'bit' of a bb locks a fixie sprocket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I know you're supposed to be able to at least discourage a fixie sprocket from unscrewing itself by using a ring from a bottom bracket as a lockring, which I thought was fine and dandy, till I tried the bits off an old bb I'd kept in the cellar and none of them fitted. Which bit do I need? (Is there a search term I could use on ebay?)

kyuss

Veteran
Lockring. The Surly ones are good. What hub is it for? Some have different threading to others.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
An old BB lockring works as a sort of lockring if you have done the bodge fixed where you put a fixed sprocket on a hub that takes a screw on block.
I dont bother with one though mind, i just had it tightened up tight. Im soon to change the sprocket on it though, and have one put on perminent, or near perminent.
If you have a proper fixed wheel, you put the sprocket on, tighten up the lockring(proper lockring goes on) and ride the bike up a steep hill, then tighten up the lockring. Sprocket then shouldnt move.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks guys. Blimey, they're not cheap are they? Surly ones that are good are also fourteen bleedin quid incl p&p. That's more than twice what I paid for the sprocket! Oh, and yes, it is for a standard old-style freewheel hub.

I did have one off-the-wall idea: remove sprocket, stick in hot (as possible) oven for 10 mins, use oven gloves to screw back on asap, wheel back on, ride up the hill, tightening as tight as possible, then chuck a cup of water over it to cool everything down before it fries the grease in the hub/chain. Wouldn't expand/contract much, but enough to stick it for good? Sound bonkers? Any thoughts?

Joe24

swee said:
Those lockrings wont work then, if its on an old freewheel hub.
Either, put a BB lockring on, if you have room.
Or, put the sprocket on really tight.
Or, use loctite thread locker to lock the sprocket on.

I, dont use anything, ust rely on the sprocket being on tight enough. I have thought about having the sprocket welded on or something, not sure if it would work though.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I don't have lockrings on mine...I did ask, but the LBS says he doesn't bother (and he's an ex./still is a Cat 1).

Not had them shift at all, and I'm not exactly going to be pulling 'skids' on expensive tyres......

Joe24

fossyant said:
I don't have lockrings on mine...I did ask, but the LBS says he doesn't bother (and he's an ex./still is a Cat 1).

Not had them shift at all, and I'm not exactly going to be pulling 'skids' on expensive tyres......

I know some people who are just the same. Dont ride with a lockring.
My mate who helps me out/gives me advice/lends me sprockets put my sprocket on my mess about fixed on for me. No lockring on there, so far it hasnt moved.
He spent about 9 years(or something like that) riding fixed, and didnt bother with a lockring. He did have a back brake on, but still did skids.

I dont have a back brake on my mess about fixed, and do some heavy leg braking/skids and its not moved.
Just your view on if you need one or not.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
TBH, my LBS has been spot on with the build..... I'm pretty fussy, usually build my own bikes, but the fixed was a new venture....

Upon taking delivery, I realised the 'delay' in it being ready - every single part had been pre greased before fitting (something I do).. I hadn't quite expected that - all done properly too...

Asked about hubs....his reply was honest - he couldn't fault the 'so called' budget Formula hubs....cheap, strong, smooth, easy and cheap to replace bearings - that give a good two years life easily....

He won't do radial spokes..... potential to damage hub, unless the hub is specifically designed to take them....

I am really pleased with my fixed, the move has been easy, and I trusted his advice about lock rings, hubs, set up (i.e. shorter reach than the road bike) etc.....

MajorMantra

dan_bo said:
I find that, without a lockring, the cog would wind itself off sometimes when slowing, and then strip itself when tightening up when setting off. This happened several times, and got forking expensive. I use a lockring now.

I would have thought that if the cog is coming off with normal slowing (i.e. not skidding) then you haven't torqued it on hard enough.

Matthew

NickM

Veteran
MajorMantra said:
I would have thought that if the cog is coming off with normal slowing (i.e. not skidding) then you haven't torqued it on hard enough.
Could just be a matter of thread compatibility, though. Not as in different standards, but as in tolerances. Especially if parts from different manufacturers are being mixed - fit might be tight or sloppy, and it would be down to luck.

RedBike

dan_bo said:
I find that, without a lockring, the cog would wind itself off sometimes when slowing, and then strip itself when tightening up when setting off. This happened several times, and got forking expensive. I use a lockring now.

After reading this thread I tried my new flipflop hub fixed wheel without a lockring (haven't got one yet). I tightened the sprocket with my chainwrap as tight as I could, (which wasn't actually very tight) then rode as far up a 20% hill as far I could to get it super tight. However, the sprocket just came off as I rode back down.

I'm going to wait for a lockring before I ride the bike fixed wheel again.

Joe24

RedBike said:
After reading this thread I tried my new flipflop hub fixed wheel without a lockring (haven't got one yet). I tightened the sprocket with my chainwrap as tight as I could, (which wasn't actually very tight) then rode as far up a 20% hill as far I could to get it super tight. However, the sprocket just came off as I rode back down.

I'm going to wait for a lockring before I ride the bike fixed wheel again.

Didnt tighten it up enough.
It does have to be on pretty tight to get it to stay where it is.

Top Bottom