What brake blocks please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK - I have a Triban 3 (2012). I orginally bought the bike for my turbo trainer so it was no issue that I was having problems reaching the levers and applying brakes. I could change gear without issue.

Now I have signed up for a college class, and plan to use the bike on the roads, so need to deal with the issue of the brakes and levers... I have investigated the option of changing the brake levers, which to be honest seems to be a no go, but it did occur to me that changing the brake blocks for a softer compound which has a better grip could be the way to go. I know it will wear out faster, but right now the brakes are not going to wear out at all because I can't use them.. (I don't have full use of my left hand which does not help, and appear to have shorter fingers - I'm also female using a men's bike so that may not be helping the issue).

Does anyone have any suggestions please? I don't know much about the bike, or road bikes in general, but know that with my touring bike changing the blocks for different types can make a huge difference. Having had a quick peep online I can't even tell if I replace the entire thing (as I do with my tourer) or whether it is just the pads themselves that get changed. To be honest, the only thing I really know is that I can't use my touring brake blocks that are spare on this bike... Oh and I think it is a straight forward aluminium rim...

I plead total ignorance at this level - sorry.

I don't what it's equipped with Shimano group wise but if you google for Specialized shims, like these but for your levers these go at the top of the levers to shorten the reach (assuming it's not adjustable somewhere, check the instructions which came with the bike or cconsult the Shimano website).

Secondly, a change of bars might help, indeed might actually be the best solution, something like FSA compact bars, might make the drop bars a lot more comfortable and bring the levers into easy reach. Try it on a showroom bike like a Boardman Cross which were equipped with Compact bars, should demonstrate the difference.

Thirdly, Kool Stops, salmon, get good reviews for brake blocks.

I did the first two, which made a profound difference to my riding comfort and braking comfort and when the current blocks wear, will replace with Kool Stops.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Koolstop salmons and dual compounds are both great and swisstop get similarly good reviews. Being a tightwad I've recently been using pads from OBE. I think you'll want one piece jobs from this page, rather than the cartridge type from here for a Shimano 2300 equipped bike, but take a look at your existing pads first.

vickster

Legendary Member
Not brake blocks, recommendations given, but how about adding brake levers to the bars, like many cx and women's roadbikes. Cheapish to add. I too find it hard to brake confidently from the hoods in traffic, not helped by chronic tennis elbow and these levers are a god send. You may also benefit from narrower bars and a shorter stem if the size isn't quite right.

Rodderstrotter

I've got the same bike, very pleased with it, but would also like a big improvement on the breaking. At the moment I don't like to sprint more than 30mph down hill, just because of the breaks :sad:
I have been looking at upgrading the inserts, but am unsure whether they are the shimano type or the campagnolo type. I know it's got a shimano 2300 groupset, but that's just the gears, the calipers are Btwin. I was sure they were the shimano type, but decathlon only sell the campagnolo type (surely they would sell the correct inserts for there bikes?) I have removed one, and looked at pictures on the web, but they both look similar so I'm still not sure.

Not brake blocks, recommendations given, but how about adding brake levers to the bars, like many cx and women's roadbikes. Cheapish to add. I too find it hard to brake confidently from the hoods in traffic, not helped by chronic tennis elbow and these levers are a god send. You may also benefit from narrower bars and a shorter stem if the size isn't quite right.
Yes, this is a good idea and easy to do. I was considering one of these for my son and would fit cross levers for him.

vickster

Legendary Member
So that's what they are called !

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
thanks - I have already added a shorter higher rise stem which has helped considerably with reach and comfort. Adjustments to the saddle position followed suit. I will look at the cross levers because braking is a major issue. I am used to my tourer with CSS rims and seriously good blocks (fully laden, downhill in the wet at speed that stops better than this bike on the flat in the dry... my mtb used to have discs with hydraulics, so I need to sort this soon).

I shall have to go and spend some money and hopefully some back with the right parts.. thanks all, knowing which brake block type it takes is an enormous help.
thank you.:smile:

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
...Also regarding the shims that another poster mentioned to shorten the reach, my bike came with 2 pairs of different size shims, which were in the CD wallet.

Hi sussed the shims yesterday after a visit to our LBS. We both have the largest size in (8mm?) but to be honest I could have done with adding a 2nd 8mm into each despite having adjusted the brakes at the block end - there is a round thing that you can screw tighter which brings the levers in or out depending on which way you screw it... (sorry really technical description I know but no idea what to call it).

Currently looking at the cross levers and changing the bars to something more compact and less wide. I have narrow shoulders by the looks of things (OH measures me at 38cm) so will drop one size from what they are (44cm) and see how I manage 40cm compact bars, having already shortened the stem...

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Just a quick update. Parts ordered on Sunday, shipped Monday and delivered & fitted today.
I have tested the bike in the wet just now and much better braking and much easier to stop - so a big thank you to all.

I went with the Swisstop pads smokeysmoo recommended and the cross levers vickster and crackle suggested and named respectively.

End result - well first time I have fitted cross levers and I was a little nervous given I don't have any spare brake cable housing and had to take into account need for lights etc, so not as pretty as it could be, and needed one or two hacks (added rubber adaptors from some old lights under the cross levers to bulk it out because they are meant to be fitted at the oversized end before it starts to narrow which was not possible after cutting the cable in the wrong place and also my hands didn't work where they were meant to be)...

IMG_4782.JPG

Anyhow - thank you all.

Top Bottom