What can a MTB take?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I have recently sourced a fleet of bikes for my policing team, and am in the process of getting as many out on them as I can. Most of them love it, especially some of the people returning to cycling after a few years' absence. Some others have been a little more reluctant, but once they saw the bikes and had a go in a controlled environment, they realised they were going to enjoy themselves and volunteered for the training.

One of the PCSOs approached me a bit sheepishly the other day and asked whether I thought the bikes could take her weight. I don't profess to be an expert in judging people's weight, and guessed she weighs about 17 or 18 stone. I was however gobsmacked to be told she weighs 21.5 stone. Given that she's going to be riding on the road virtually all the time, is a Cube Acid going to cope, or will it have damage done as she fears?

I have fitted women's saddles to some of the bikes, and keep the tyres up at max pressure, so her comfort is as catered for as much as I can.

Not a prob I think the max is 24st on most bikes. What is the psi on the tyres? and are the wheels standard?

02GF74

Über Member
eeeeek! if you think about it, that is about 2 teenagers - the bike unless it is some super lightweight XC racing model swhould cope.

My money is on the seat post breaking if it is extended a fair bit out of the frame. The wheels may suffer if they are not built properly or utilise a small number of thin double butted spokes.

RedBike

Pumping up the tyres to their Max pressure will make the bike quicker on tarmac but it probably wont make it more comfortable.

I suspect her main problem will be correctly setting the forks to sag correctly / the wheels strength over rougher ground.

jay clock

Massive member
I suspect her main problem will be correctly setting the forks to sag correctly
? ?? what does that mean?

I would have thought unless she is 7ft tall, she is so massively obese that she needs to lose weight dramatically. Maybe the cycling will help? If she is 5ft4 she has a BMI of 53 which is monsterously dangerous.

jay clock

Massive member
and if she is 5'4" she needs to lose 132 pds to get into the "merely overweight" category for BMI...... wow

Will1985

Über Member
If she weighs that much, it'll do her good and maybe she'll lose some weight.

Would a suspension seatpost take some of the impact away from the wheels on rougher roads?

maurice

I think you better contact Cube and ask them, you may get in trouble if something snaps and she hurts herself.

RedBike

"I suspect her main problem will be correctly setting the forks to sag correctly "

jay clock said:
? ?? what does that mean?

I would have thought unless she is 7ft tall, she is so massively obese that she needs to lose weight dramatically. Maybe the cycling will help? If she is 5ft4 she has a BMI of 53 which is monsterously dangerous.

At 20+ stone she might have trouble correctly setting the suspension forks for her weight. The forks are suppost to be set so that they sag about 20% of their travel when you get on the bike and so they are as plush as possible while never running out of travel.

maurice

Looking at the spec of that cube (assuming its 09), it has lockout forks so presumably (if lockout can take 21 stone) it should be alright in that respect.

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Thanks for all the replies. The poor lass is a bit embarrassed about the whole thing. Part of the attraction for her is that a lot of the team are now getting a bit leaner from riding the bikes for several hours a day, but one real worry for me is that she's simply not fit enough. A colleague on the team is a really good cyclist, but recovering from a skiing injury. We've put together a plan to get the big lass out for a few gentle miles every day with her as she recuperates, rather than expecting her to spend all her shift in the saddle. The bikes are checked daily for ordinary service items under our risk assessment, so we'll be able to spot any damage or wear.

Will1985 said:
Would a suspension seatpost take some of the impact away from the wheels on rougher roads?

:evil:Will it aid saddle retrieval?:biggrin:

Top Bottom