What can a MTB take?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JonGW

Thomson Inline FTW

Fatman1280.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Rigid MTB maybe..

TBH MTB's can take a pounding...I got run over by a car before Christmas - bike came off OK....

just make sure her bike has some beefy parts - none of the lightweight stuff...

Dinger

Do the PCSO's not need to take a fitness/health check before joining?

Good on you also for promoting cycling at the work place, if only my bunch would listen to me ;)

Mirco

Let's stay objective, folks. no, a suspension seatpost is not a good idea for her, they're not intended for her weight, she'll just bottom it out, and they are generally poor quality anyway. Her best bet to not over-stress the rear wheel is to lift off the saddle over bumps.

And let's get something clear: sure, some people lose weight cycling, but I tend to just eat more. Most heavy people have very healthy appetites, and find it takes focussed changes to lose weight. It definitely will increase her fitness tremendously, as well as her self-confidence. Give her the encouragement she needs so much. And don't worry too much about the bike. I'm 270 lbs, probably 19 stone or so, and my pack and gear and stuff, me and the bike and all is well over 300 lbs, and I pound on my single-wall rims pretty good, as long as I'm not sitting full on the saddle over everything, my wheels hold up. I don't go through wheels on a weekly basis or anything, and I ride a lot, so really, just get her on the bike and having fun with it.

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Dinger said:
Do the PCSO's not need to take a fitness/health check before joining?

They have to take a health check, but don't have a fitness test as such. I have to do a risk assessment in order for them to be deployed on bikes, which means I take them out for a ride in safe conditions (there's loads of tarmac cycleways around here) and make sure they can cover a half-mile in 3 minutes, cycle for 5 miles without dying, and carry the bike for a few yards up some steps or over some rough ground. After that they can take the Bikeability Level 2 course thanks to our wonderful local council, and away they go.

Good on you also for promoting cycling at the work place, if only my bunch would listen to me

There were a few who were mad keen to get on the bikes to start with, and a few who were dubious, but once they saw the bikes and had a quick go on them in the yard, they too signed up. There were a couple who were pretty reluctant, but once one of the lasses pointed out that it was the best route to firm backsides, the last few doubters came on board!!!! :biggrin:

I suppose ultimately the greatest draw was the opportunity to ride a quality bike.

It'll be fine. Honestly.
I'm over 20 stone, and I ride a touring bike every day, sometimes with rediculous loads.
I've ridden home with sacks of potatoes from the farmer's market before now.
Wheels can be a problem, but this is where good quality handbuilt wheels pay you back.

Dave5N

Über Member
Mirco said:
Let's stay objective, folks. no, a suspension seatpost is not a good idea for her, they're not intended for her weight, she'll just bottom it out, and they are generally poor quality anyway. Her best bet to not over-stress the rear wheel is to lift off the saddle over bumps.

And let's get something clear: sure, some people lose weight cycling, but I tend to just eat more. Most heavy people have very healthy appetites, and find it takes focussed changes to lose weight. It definitely will increase her fitness tremendously, as well as her self-confidence. Give her the encouragement she needs so much. And don't worry too much about the bike. I'm 270 lbs, probably 19 stone or so, and my pack and gear and stuff, me and the bike and all is well over 300 lbs, and I pound on my single-wall rims pretty good, as long as I'm not sitting full on the saddle over everything, my wheels hold up. I don't go through wheels on a weekly basis or anything, and I ride a lot, so really, just get her on the bike and having fun with it.

That's a really good post. Question addressed.

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Thanks to all for the posts. We're struggling a bit with this weather in terms of risk-assessment, and struggling to source the right size trousers, but she's keen enough to get out and have a go. As I said, the bikes have a daily check and a weekly going-over, so we can keep an eye open for signs of wear and tear.

e-rider

crappy member
Heavy people riding off road is a real problem for the bike and in 2 main areas. Seat posts bending is a common problem for people 18 stone + if it's extended quite far but still within the limit (and this can be really nasty) and the rear wheel usually lasts about 5 minutes - you need at least 36 spokes and a solid rim.

Road riding is less of a problem if the bike is suitable in the first place.

Top Bottom