What can happen.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
This morning when on the way to work I saw a truck loaded with wood that had 'ploughed' into a large stone wall. The wall wasn't very happy about it and so a fair portion of it had collapsed in protest. I don't know how it happened but perhaps the driver fell asleep, however it did cross my mind, what chance would someone on a bike have if they were there at the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maz

Guru
Count your blessings, Keith! Sounds scary...
but I'm sure any cyclist would come out unscathed just as long as they were wearing a helmet that conformed to BS EN 1078:1997.

gbb

Legendary Member
Its a toss of the good luck..bad luck coin.

Sometimes it flips bad luck, and people get killed.
Skegness a couple of years ago, pedestrians were killed by a bus that mounted the pavement.
Youngster killed just the other day in similar circumstances...and wasnt there a case up north a while ago.

You thank your lucky stars sometimes !!!:biggrin:

mailman

Maz said:
Count your blessings, Keith! Sounds scary...
but I'm sure any cyclist would come out unscathed just as long as they were wearing a helmet that conformed to BS EN 1078:1997.

To be fair helmets arent exactly made to withstand the impact of 4 ton of truck.

To be fairer, there is probably just as much chance of survival being in a car hit by 4 ton of truck as well :biggrin:

Mailman

PBancroft

mailman said:
To be fair helmets arent exactly made to withstand the impact of 4 ton of truck.

To be fairer, there is probably just as much chance of survival being in a car hit by 4 ton of truck as well ;)

Mailman

Indeed. At the bottom of my road this weekend a truck carrying blocks of concrete shed some of it's load while turning a tight bend. He simply took it too fast.

One of those going through a windscreen would have the same effect as cracking a cyclist on the skull.

The benefit of being a pedestrian or a cyclist is maneuverability, though cars do have the benefit of speed - you take your chances.

Not worth worrying about in my view - if it were, I'd never leave the front doorstep.

There's an industrial workyard on my commute with a really tight entrance off the main road into which they are always having to reverse huge articulated loads of building supplies. Only way they can get in. It takes them 5 mins sometimes. I've never been tempted to try to get past while the driver is manouevering back and forth though - ever since I saw someone try and nearly get squashed when the lorry lurched forward... ;)

Mankymitts

On the way to work on Friday I nearly got clobbered by a Jag. I drew up to him to tell him he had nearly killed me however, he didn't see me as he was too busy juggling fags and a lighter. He drove off at the lights oblivious.

MM

Top Bottom