What can I do with these wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goldfang

My boss has given me a pair of wheels, very nice wheels! 700c, Mavic rims and Campagnolo chorus q/r hubs. The idea being to use them for the fixed/single speed bike I am hoping to build up. They fit the frame very well, but what I would like to know is would the rear hub take a single freewheel (it currently has a 9 sprocket casette on it) or could I put a bolt on track type spindle in the hub for a fixed sprocket using the old bottom bracket locking ring trick. I fancy the single freewheel, as tey are such a nice pair of wheels I dont want to muck about with them.
Is it possible to have a fixed wheel with quick release? I seem to recall people doing it years ago. All thoughts on this matter greatly appreciated!!

The front wheel will work perfectly.

No but seriously, the rear isn't ever going to be fixed wheel. QRs are far from ideal, you'd need to change the axle for a solid/ nutted one. Not to mention re-dishing the spokes and somehow bodging the freehub body to stop it freewheeling. Just buy a new rear wheel.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Unless the Mavic rim is a really nice buy a new rear wheel, Mavic Ellipse are supposed to be very good (~£185 a pop), I want one!

If the current rim is very nice, then just buy a fixed hub and get the wheel built up at a lbs using the current rim?

OP
OP
G

Goldfang

Thanks for the info redjedi, i had never heard of these, my local bike shop confimed the same this afternoon. And yes palinurus, my boss is a very keen cyclist, races a lot and has some very fancy kit. Its' not the first time he has passed some nice kit on to me. Was looking forward to a fixie, but could live with a single speed for the use I intend it for.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
My boss is a keen cyclist too, but he doesn't give me wheels.

For a time the big boss (head of R&D for our group) was a cyclist. He still is a cyclist, he's just not our big boss anymore. He's someone else's. I should probably start that sentence again but sod it, it's crap but it makes sense.

He came over here once, from California. We took him out one to the local evening time trial. It was pissing down with rain and I put seven minutes into him.

He certainly never gave me any wheels.

Top Bottom