What can I expect from riding clipped in ...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
In hundreds of miles I never got that knack (with £60 A600s) and I even took an alarming tumble as a result. Double sided clipless for me from then on. Physics fecked me over
I learnt pedal 'flipping' years ago when we all used 'track' pedals like this.

wellgo-bike-pedals.png
They are really uncomfortable 'upside down'

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yeah but to be fair you do fall over a lot .
:popcorn:

Mrs M

Guru
When I first went clip less I took the bike indoors, put the saddle right down and pedals on a low tension.
Then found something to hold onto and just practised clipping in and out.
Did this for a day or two then just went outside and got on with it :smile:
Wouldn't go back to flat pedals on the road bike.
Only issue is walking in the shoes :eek:

screenman

Legendary Member
Put the spd pedals on the bike on a Saturday and do a full cross race on the Sunday and you will quickly get the hang of them, I did.

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Put the spd pedals on the bike on a Saturday and do a full cross race on the Sunday and you will quickly get the hang of them, I did.

I'm toying with that idea I must admit , have my first ever " timed " cycle event early on Sunday morning but not sure wether to or not , might be asking for trouble with other cyclists around me & road junctions on the route , will see might have a practise with them Saturday afternoon & if I feel comfortable with them .

Thanks all to have contributed some good advice / reading

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'll take falling over and looking like a tit over getting a studded pedal in the shin any day !
So get grippy rubber pedals, then.

I don't really understand why any non-racer would clip in these days. The roads are so busy now that it adds too much risk of getting run over to the risks of injury and bike damage.

screenman

Legendary Member
So get grippy rubber pedals, then.

I don't really understand why any non-racer would clip in these days. The roads are so busy now that it adds too much risk of getting run over to the risks of injury and bike damage.

I think we have been here before. You could not get on with them, does not mean they are unsafe.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think we have been here before. You could not get on with them, does not mean they are unsafe.
I got on fine with clipping in, thanks. Maybe you're thinking of someone else?

I think there's a lot of post-purchase self-justification going on among new clippers, exaggerating the benefits to make it seem worth the drawbacks and costs.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
For the first few days you'll find that you will be unclipping "just in case" in advance of lights, juctions, etc where you may need to stop and you'll be thinking about it each time.

Soon it will be such second nature that you won't realise you're doing it and you will unclip only when necessary. It may also come to the point that as some pillock in a car pulls out on you from a side junction you'll hit the brakes and unclip automatically at the same time.

Last edited:

adamangler

Veteran
just gone from mtb spds to look single sided road pedals, much harder to clip in on the road pedals, keep hitting the wrong side of the pedal and as there is no grip on the sole of the shoe foot usually slides off, very tricky on a hill start to get your foot in first go which usually leads to swearing. I will persivere for a while, if not i will go back to mtb spds and shoes

just gone from mtb spds to look single sided road pedals, much harder to clip in on the road pedals, keep hitting the wrong side of the pedal and as there is no grip on the sole of the shoe foot usually slides off, very tricky on a hill start to get your foot in first go which usually leads to swearing. I will persivere for a while, if not i will go back to mtb spds and shoes
He's got SPD pedals, and presumably - as he's cycling currently without cleats - shoes that with traction on the soles. So he should be fine.

My first real ride after i got SPD pedals/shoes was a solo 200km in sleet and (later) freezing mist. It was a terrible day out, that I packed early and went home. I stopped on climbs when I felt I was going too slow to unclip if need, and got terrible cramps in my thighs. But I survived, and didn't come off (never had a clipless). So I suggest, relax and enjoy. They'll feel like second nature in about 50 miles, and in 200 you won't know how to cycle without them :smile:

Top Bottom