What can you tell me about turbo trainers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dub-no-bass

Looks like I am facing a period of forced abstinence from cycling - I've just sprained my wrist, and will shortly be having jaw surgery which means I won't be allowed to cycle afterwards for a couple of months, until my jawbones heal.

However, there's nothing wrong with my legs or bike. Is it worth getting a turbo trainer so I can at least get some sort of cycling done? If they allow me to cycle stationary, I won't need to lean on my hand, and there's presumably very little risk of me falling off (which is why cycling will be verboten after the surgery)

Do they take any sort of bike? I have a hybrid with 700C wheels and 28mm tyres.. will it fit on a standard trainer? Any good makes to look out for, or recommendations?

Budget is about £100 or so, I suppose. Help?

Why not invest the money in attending spinning classes?
There's more of a social element, you're more likely to turn up, and the classes are motivational AND beneficial, but if your jaw's buggered you won't be able to chat anyone up! :tongue:
Also you can cycle/spin at your pace, i.r. legs only if standing up on the pedals is too difficult/painful for your wrist.
Hope you heal soon.

Noodley

I have a cycleops mag trainer and it does what I need it to do - nothing fancy, manual setting of resistance but good and worth the money. I "upgraded" to a Tacx trainer earlier this year but got rid of it after a few weeks as it was not IMO anywhere as good as the one I have.

I think it cost me about £80, but I see wiggle have them for just over £70 (or thereabouts as I have forgotten the exact price and can't be arsed looking again)

hope you heel well.

Mortiroloboy

Well, IMO they are boring and noisey :tongue: Get yourself a set of rollers, much more fun and virtually silent :?: But plenty of chances of falling off (initially) so maybe not for you. If you do go for the Turbo option then I think you need to be spending at least £100.

lazyfatgit

if you decide to get a turbo, make sure it's a magnetic one, and you have smooth tyre.

I bought a cheapish air resitance one and the kids think it sounds like a hoover on steroids. Mrs LFG has banished it from the house.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've got an old Tacx Turbo fan one and it's garage use only with an MP3. You'd also benefit from a desk fan to keep you cool - I still sweat like a pig in winter in a cold garage with the fan on full !

OP
OP
dub-no-bass

dub-no-bass

Rollers would be a no-no because if I fall and land on my chin while it's only screwed together with internal titanium plates, I'll be disfigured for life.. so I bought a turbo trainer.

Specifically it's a Minoura Hypermag. Cyclesurgery had them knocked down from £150 to £120. The bikes fits on OK after some wrestling, it's not noisy and it does the job, so I'm quite pleased. As I wear the trousers in our household, I am allowed to park it in the front room, in front of the telly. Just did a quick half hour whilst watching 'Friends', and yep, a desk fan will be needed

Top Bottom