What causes this? :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrOz

Stacker

(Does that play? Doesn't for me)

Thought i had a sticky link or two so replaced the chain, but it made no difference.

At a loss. Any ideas gratefully received.

Andrew.

Alan O

Über Member
Gummed-up freehub?

The lock ring for the cassette is probably not on flat. It’s possibly rubbing on the stays. Take the lock ring off, put it back on, with some downward pressure on it, and check it’s located properly in the freehub threads.

si_c

Guru
The lock ring for the cassette is probably not on flat. It’s possibly rubbing on the stays. Take the lock ring off, put it back on, with some downward pressure on it, and check it’s located properly in the freehub threads.

A side on photo would help diagnose that too. It looks to me as though it's sticking at around the same point, so it's certainly a plausible explanation. Other than that as @Alan O said, could well be a sticky freehub.

OP
OP
MrOz

MrOz

Stacker
Thanks everyone, going to have a look shortly. If it is a sticky freehub, will a thorough clean do or does it mean replacement?

si_c

Guru
Thanks everyone, going to have a look shortly. If it is a sticky freehub, will a thorough clean do or does it mean replacement?

Depends on the hub. If it's a shimano hub I'd be tempted to take it off, flush it through with WD40 or another light solvent based lubricant until it spins freely and then relubricate it thoroughly. Worst case scenario it doesn't fix it and you replace the freehub body.

For other hub manufacturers this may not be possible, I don't really know. From memory Park Tool has a very good page on how to service a freehub, google should find it for you.

MiK1138

Veteran
Depends on the hub. If it's a shimano hub I'd be tempted to take it off, flush it through with WD40 or another light solvent based lubricant until it spins freely and then relubricate it thoroughly. Worst case scenario it doesn't fix it and you replace the freehub body.

For other hub manufacturers this may not be possible, I don't really know. From memory Park Tool has a very good page on how to service a freehub, google should find it for you.
SRAM are the same take it off give a good clean. I managed it so it 's not a hard job

Hopefully it’s just a wonky lock ring, or some crud in between the ring and the stays, in which case there’s not much to do.

OP
OP
MrOz

MrOz

Stacker
This might be a coincidence, but as near the suggested area of concern might be a factor. Took the wheel off and noticed the sprockets are loose, as if I'm missing a 1.5mm/wtvr spacer twixt the smallest one and the lockring. Would that be enough to cause the snatching?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Make/model of hub?
Size of cassette?
10 or 11 speed?
There should be no spacer between the smallest sprocket and the lockring. Is there a spacer on the freehub, 'inside' the largest sprocket?

OP
OP
MrOz

MrOz

Stacker
Don't know make/model but for some reason I've got in my head that it's Deore. Biggest cog 36t, dunno smallest. 10 spd, with sprockets arranged in pieces of 3-5-1-1 (inside to out).

There is no spacer on the spoke side, but I have found the one that should have been there (long story).

I was thinking of a spacer being needed on the other side as it seems the chain rubs the stay when on smallest cog.

This might be a coincidence, but as near the suggested area of concern might be a factor. Took the wheel off and noticed the sprockets are loose, as if I'm missing a 1.5mm/wtvr spacer twixt the smallest one and the lockring. Would that be enough to cause the snatching?
That’s the problem. The lock ring isn’t in straight, so you can’t tighten it up enough to stop the sprockets being loose, and it will be fouling the stays as it rotates, causing the snatching. You have to press down on the lockring as you tighten it, to ensure it goes in straight. I use the palm of my hand pressed down quite hard onto the lock ring, for the first couple of turns, then use the lockring tool to tighten it all the way up.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
There is no spacer on the spoke side, but I have found the one that should have been there (long story).
I was thinking of a spacer being needed on the other side as it seems the chain rubs the stay when on smallest cog.
Sounds like you have a combination of not having a spacer on the spoke side of the cassette which means the lockring can't be tightened properly thus (possibly) causing the snatching referred to by rr above. If, with the (correct dimension) spacer in and the lockring properly installed (to 40Nm), the chain fouls the stay when on the smallest sprocket/large chain ring then the wheel may have been set up on the hub too close to the axle end on the right (drive) side. Your LBS will be able to sort this fairly easily, if you can't.

Top Bottom