What Chain! A companion to the 'What Chain Lube' threads...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I had one break twice (snapped outer links) in 5 minutes and 2 pedal strokes. At that point I binned it a got a different bike out - luckily they were my first pedal strokes of the ride....and the first outing of spring of that bike, not sure what had happened to the chain over winter.

so now I usually

on that bike.

I was tempted by one of these for it (being a massive tart) but the price put me off somewhat

View attachment 691154

These are nice, but I wouldn't go for these on anything except a single speed, as the finish comes off very quickly and gunks up your chainrings and sprockets, what with all the gear changing etc

T4tomo

Legendary Member
as the finish comes off very quickly and gunks up your chainrings and sprockets, what with all the gear changing etc

Is that speaking from experience? I haven't seen any reviews that says that is a issue?

They are 11 speed chain so clearly not for fixie/SS

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Is that speaking from experience? I haven't seen any reviews that says that is a issue?

They are 11 speed chain so clearly not for fixie/SS

Not sure about the 11 speed ones, but I had a 10 speed one on my old GTs which didn't last very long on a Deore 3x10 setup

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I've just checked and I have 9 spare chains in stock - which is odd as I only have 8 bikes!

Of these, 7 are SRAM, 1 is KMC and the other is something called Elite (which must have been cheap at the time as I'm sure another is currently fitted to one of the bikes)

T4tomo

Legendary Member
KMC and either the standard or EL depending which bike it's for.

My Thompson Capella's getting one of the DLC coloured chains up-thread in black/blue.

Report back as on how it goes please, as my Bianchi is itching for one.....

my issue is it will cost me double as the OH will see it and ask why her bike doesn't have one....

slight aside I've always fancied a Thompson bike, be it of the Andy vintage fame or modern Belgian variant - just been looking at them, they do some fancy paint jobs, right up my street in name and looks.

Top Bottom