What chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcb2080

Looking for some help please.

I have a ridgeback nemesis which has an 8 speed hub but I can never get the chain tension right and my chain seems to slip about every 50 / 60 miles:evil:

I have had it into the lbs a few times but they can never get the chain to slip so they can't seem to fix the problem.

I enquired about a half link chain but they didn't seem to think that this is a good idea. I like the idea as I reckon this will fix the tension problem.

I currently have a shimano nx 10 which is a 1/2 x 1/8 inch chain, I have been looking at a charge masher 1/8 chain or a diamond back half link chain but I can't seem to find what the other part of the size is.

Can you use any size of 1/8 chain on a fixed hub or the fact that I currently have a 1/2 chain mean that I will need a similar 1/2 x 1/8 half link chain (if this size exists)

Sorry if the size bits doesn't make sense as I don't know too much about bikes in general.

Thanks

Mark

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
If the chain is slipping, then either the chain or the cassette or both is/are worn.

OP
OP
mcb2080

mcb2080

Gerry Attrick said:
If the chain is slipping, then either the chain or the cassette or both is/are worn.

Thanks for the reply Gerry, sorry I forgot to add into the above that when I am tighten the back wheel that if I pull the wheel as far away from the pedals, I get the right tension to begin with but then after 50 / 60 miles I think the rear axle slips slightly forward towards the pedal on one side and this makes the chain come off.

What I was wanting to do was push the wheel as close to the pedals then by using a half link chain this should sort out the tension and give the bolt a right good tight and hope this sorts out the tension, I tried pushing the wheel completely forward and took a link out of the normal chain but it was just to small to go on the bike.

OP
OP
mcb2080

mcb2080

Where the nuts have been tightened in the past have left grooves into the frame where the non return washers go and I think over time this might be part of the axle slipping, I ordered new washers and have just put them on the bike today with a new kmc chain. I looked at the cassette and it doesn't seem to bad, I think I have done about 800 miles on it.

Again, I put all this to the lbs but as the can't get the chain or axle to slip then they say they can't do much more.

OP
OP
mcb2080

mcb2080

Gerry Attrick said:
The small distance available on horizontle drop outs is unlikely to make any difference. The reason your chain is slipping is as stated above.

Just confirm that you have eight speed derailleiurs. It's not a hub gear is it?

Yeah Gerry, it is an eight speed alfine hub.

Bigtwin

mcb2080 said:
I looked at the cassette and it doesn't seem to bad, I think I have done about 800 miles on it.

1. Very hard to tell by looking unless you have a new one to compare with.

2. 800 is a far bit for new chain/old sprocket. If you have the hub version, it is a LOT, as of course all those miles are on the same sprocket.

Gerry Attrick

How old is the bike? I have a twenty five year old Dawes which doesn't have chunks out the frame where the rear axle locates.

Gerry Attrick

Ah, so you actually don't have a cassette. Even so, if the chain tension is correct, the only reason it can slip is if the chain and/or rear sprocket is worn. Change both and all should be fine. If you think the axle is slipping forward, you can obtain chain tensioners whch fit to the rear axle/drop outs, but I have no idea whether they are compatible with Alfine hubs.

OP
OP
mcb2080

mcb2080

I only got the bike last June, yeah there are defo bits out of the frame, I was considering rubbing down all the flaky bits and trying again with re tightening the bolts but as I say I put a new chain and washers on it today.

Would it help if I take some pictures and stick them up here to get an opinion of the wear on the frame and the spocket?

Cheers guys

OP
OP
mcb2080

mcb2080

The alfine that i have, you can't get chain tensioners for unfortunately.

I have had the chain slipping problem from almost new but as I say the lbs just can't seem to find the problem.

I actually think the lbs is a good shop as they have never charged to look at the problem each time I bring it in.

OP
OP
mcb2080

mcb2080

LOL, yeah I hoped that they weren't going to charge either as I may have had something to say as well but I am pretty laid back and don't really like creating a fuss.

I am just uploading pics the now.

Top Bottom